Thursday, July 22, 2010

Work work work

After about four hours' sleep I woke up at half nine and got some more work done. Luckily the kids were taken out to Jiuma's house, where Waipo and an allotment of other more senior female members of the family spend much of their days. I was peckish by midday so went for a little walk outside our block. I decided to call A Wu and see if he fancied having a bite to eat too. He answered and said that a friend would come around immediately and pick me up. So I decided to wait in a local shop that sold drinks and some food and other little bits. I ended up buying a tube of superglue for 2 kuai to try to fix the toys that almost always break, plus a towel to wipe my sweat when I play table tennis. Ten minutes later I got a phone call from someone saying he'd arrived to pick me up. I said I'd be there in 30 seconds and to wait for me. So when I arrived I gave him a ring and asked what colour his car was - he said "it's blue" but I couldn't see any such car...then I heard him shouting "I see you, I see you!" and found he was leaning out of a dark green pick-up truck. That is such a normal thing to happen.

We drove to what turned out to be A Wu's new office. It was rather bare but looked like a nice place, conveniently situated on the floor above a car cleaning garage. Then a few minutes later we drove to a simple restaurant where we for once did not sit in a private room, but enjoyed the ambient temperature in the mid twenties due to the fact that it was raining and had been all day. We had a simple meal of beef, lotus root and pork ribs. So nice to have a simple meal once in a while. That was enough to make me tired enough for a siesta but I fancied checking up on the house so I rang Lin Hong who said she'd meet me there in ten minutes.

So after the meal A Wu dropped off A Ni somewhere and then me at the house. I took the lift to the 14th floor and met Lin Hong there waiting for a worker to come with the key. He came five minutes later and we went in to see - not much difference from a couple of days ago. The kitchen is pretty much done now, and Lin Hong said that the floor would be put in in two days and that within a week the house would be finished. I have a very strong feeling of doubt about that.

Finally got home at 2.30pm and managed to get an hour and a half of kip before another marathon work session till 5am...boo.

No comments:

Post a Comment