Wednesday, July 21, 2010

School stops again

Only a month till we go back..boo hoo! I woke up at 7.30am, having slept a whole hour, to take the kids to school. I got some takeaway buns and pancakes from the breakfast place and just went home to have a bite to eat. After catching up on some work I had an early siesta at 10am that lasted till 2pm. Worked all day, then Tan picked up the kids and came back soon after 5pm with all their bedding saying that the school needed emergency repairs and that there would be no more classes until 23rd of August by which time we'd be back in the UK. Well, we got our money back but it seems very badly organised; surely they would have know that the school needed this work before they started accepting kids back. A major irritant for a great many people who relied on this service so they could continue to work.

Tan ordered a takeaway meal and she and Xixi and I tucked into some nice grub at home. In fact Xixi ate a sausage, a bowl of zhou, various mouthfuls of pork and rice and potatoes, and still came back for more - that doesn't happen much. I wish Leilei would do the same from time to time. Then a couple of hours later she (Tan) said she was hungry again and could I go out and get her some duck claws, so I said I would do so a little later. I popped out at 10pm to Qing Xin Tang, one of the bbq places opposite the guang chang, where one of Tan's aunties works, and ordered ten chicken claws and ten duck tongues for good measure. I then popped inside their shop and saw they also sold fruit juice. As there's nothing I love more than a fresh watermelon juice I ordered one - ensuring the girl only put in a half measure of sugar as I'm not into the sweetness of most of the drinks here.

I followed the process with great detail. She keeps the watermelons in the freezer. This makes then harder to cut open but negates the use of icecubes, which I guess are not great for the blender. She cut out about a quarter of a melon into the blender, and didn't make any effort to take out the pips. She then added a small spoonful of some sort of sugar syrup (as opposed to a large one they normally do), and a scoop of nearly frozen water. She blended it for nearly a minute, then sieved the contents into a cup before stabbing a straw into the juice that a perfect consistency. Very refreshing and I daresay healthy. While I received my melon juice I noticed Saozi walking in to put some water into her jar of whatever it was she was drinking. Saozi is a relative with whom I spent some time a couple of years ago in her house. Her husband likes a drink and I remember sharing a bottle of wine with him that I didn't really appreciate, but he also introduced me to "medicine alcohol" which I also don't particularly like but at least it's palatable (and good for you apparently). Anyway, as soon as I noticed her I said "ni hao" and I was directed to the table she was sharing with two of her good friends. Tan's claws were going to take a good few minutes so this was fine by me.

We had an interesting cultural conversation about how England was better in their eyes and Pingguo was better in mine, and they made me eat some chicken claws, chicken liver and duck intestines that they no longer had room for. Then Saozi got up for a minute. When she came back she announced that she'd paid for all my stuff and that there was nothing I could do about it. I said that was not fair and I would tell Tan but she said "no" - we were friends/family and that was what we did. I'm used to this enough now to know not to argue, so I thanked them, and then they went on their way. The next 10 minutes were spent talking to "Ai yi", my aunty in law who was cooking the bbq. I finally got home 10 minutes before my 11pm meeting. 50 minutes to get a little bbq. And of course Tan told me I'd got chicken claws instead of duck claws. Grrrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment