Saturday, July 24, 2010

Spontaneous trip around town with Xixi

Got up at 1pm and lazily helped myself to the leftovers of yesterday's octopus and fried sweetcorn. Work was not on the agenda so I took the electric bike down to where the kids often spend most of there time during the day - Jiuma's house. I found Xixi there, who was apparently ready to have a snooze, but on hearing my voice snapped right out of that. We drove around for a bit and found Waipo playing Ma Jiang (Mah Jong?) with some friends. I get the impression she really missed this sort of stuff while she was living in the UK.

I took Xixi down to the river to have a look at what chances we may have of being flooded like so many other places not so far away this year in China. It seems that the river has a long way to rise before it would come close to threatening our town. We drove down to a boat restaurant that I'd never seen before, and I made a mental note to visit it one evening for a meal. We then drove by the mountain to the railway station. This must be a new road as the last time I went to the station it was a good ten minute ride on a san lun che, but going south of the mountain it took us three minutes. I took details of the trains to and from Nanning, while Xixi had fun with some kids there. Then we drove to a new bridge that we'd seen, the promises to be yet another way to get into Pingguo in the next few months.

The view from the restaurant "Shui Shang Ren Jia" (水上人家), which literally means "Water on people family", but translates to "Boat Dwellers"

The next place I took her was a nice park frequented by elders, where we witnessed some of the harmonious singing the elders like here. All in all it was one of the nicest days I've had this year here; no pressure from others to do stuff, and spending quality time with my daughter exploring new terrains and having a great deal of fun.


A snippet of some of the lovely sounds to be heard in this local central park, with most of the traffic sounds filtered out by the trees


We then drove a bit further south following a river through by tall dwellings in empty boiling streets until we came across a few men sitting inside one such house. The men were actually finishing off their meal but they grabbed a small wooden chair and told me to sit down, explaining what the various dishes were. One of the ladies got me a bowl of rice and a glass of beer, and suddenly it was just like any meal with friends here. We joked about lots of things, and when I explained about the family situation and that Tan was from Bangxu it transpired one of them was too. How they laughed as I spoke out the names of the various dishes in Bangxunese, and then moved on to a couple of games of cai ma. It was one of those spontaneous magic moments, an hour very enjoyably spent, and I made a mental note to come back for a bite to eat before I leave. The owner's name is Lo Jing Ping, and he has a daughter of ten, and a son of four, reminding me that in the country it is permissable to have two kids if the first is a girl.


I will try to remember to go back and maybe bring a little packet of English tea as a present


I went home and found Tan there. She wanted to buy some trainers to go jogging, so I dropped off Xixi and took her to the shop I'd got mine from, and A Wu and A Ni went too as A Wu has the discount card. Tan decided on a pair identical to mine except for being a more ladylike shade of light blue. Then she said that there was a special offer and that it was two pairs for one, so I could choose any pair I wanted for free. I smelt a rat so I went and chose an expensive pair. Then she said that I had to pay 38 kuai to get the second pair for free. I started the sentence that would have been "But if I have to pay 38 kuai it's not free", but thought better of it and just said "38 kuai is not bad for a second pair of trainers". And then it transpired that the "free" second pair only counted if you a) paid 38 kuai, and b) chose a cheaper second pair. As Tan's trainers had already been discounted to 139 kuai, A Wu and I decided to get a pair each for a total of 280 kuai and split the cost. He got a nice pair of grey/blue trainers like my previous ones, and I got a black pair with red details, as my other pairs are white and get dirty very quickly. I've now bought three pairs of trainers in the last month.

In the sports shop I got a phone call from Jiuma to pick up Xixi, so I came a few minutes later and found she had had a "little" sleep for an hour or so. That meant it wouldn't be easy to get her to sleep later in the evening, and as Tan went out with her friends, so it transpired. I finally got them both to sleep at 11.30pm.

Er jie came today for a few minutes (fair enough, it is her house). She spent a few minutes with Xixi before moving on to her husband's boss's place. That reminded me that a few days ago on the 12th July she rang me to ask if I knew about grapes. It took me a couple of minutes before I realised she was asking me if I could speak Portuguese. So I said I could speak it but it had been ten years since I lived there (for one year). Then she said something about a business deal in Angola, and she wanted me to go there to help her. I didn't want to say no so I just asked her to send a text with the details, although I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to be a part of her business deal. I didn't tell Tan, as I knew what her response would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment