Monday, July 26, 2010

Smoking doctors

Another busy day. Tan was feeling ill and hadn't slept so I got the kids to bed at a late hour while she slept. Well Xixi was too excited as she'd had a siesta so I left her with Waipo, but I finally got Leilei to sleep at midnight.


I tried in vain to get them to sleep in the living room at 10pm...

I was peckish so popped out for a bite to eat ten minutes later. How predictable - I got a call from Tan saying Leilei had woken up and where was I? Well fair e-bloody-nough, I'd stopped working to look after the kids and I deserved a break. I had just bumped into some people I'd met last year when Leilei and I went to Tian Dong to taste the most delicious mangos in the world. I had to say goodbye after a few minutes to attend to my son. Then when I got home a minute later I found him asleep with Tan anyway, so I thought "fair enough" and I popped back out to talk to the guys. Four of them were doctors (three of whom had the same surname "Huang", or "Yellow"). They were all drinking and smoking and I made some jokes about "doctor's orders" which they seemed to find funny.

We chatted till gone 1am, and they loved that fact that I could speak a few words of the local language. Apparently I will be invited to drink beer with them this weekend - as I told them I was too busy during the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment