Wednesday, July 07, 2010

House becoming homely

Kids slept in late and so did I for the first time in a long time. Had a lot of work to catch up on but late morning got a call from Tan saying I needed to take the wire I bought a couple of weeks ago for charging the bike to the house. I also had to buy a light, as the workers wanted to lay the tiles to the bathrooms but the ensuite one was too dark and there was no electricity. I wasn't sure how the 15 metre length of wire would help if there is no leccy but couldn't be bothered to ask. I got Xixi on the bike and tried to leave as Leilei was watching something with Chuan Chuan on the computer but he sensed he was missing out and cried when I said there wasn't enough space and he could come next time. We drove to one of the shops I frequent that sells diy stuff and they found me a bright bulb and an adapter so you could plug it in to any mains - 8 kuai for both, then we delivered it to the house where Lin Hong was waiting for us. Finally they have started painting the walls and it is just starting to look a little homely.

Slowly getting there

Hadn't heard from A Wu for a while so it wasn't a surprise when he called at 9pm asking me to go out with him to sing song. I haven't been out for a while so said I wouldn't mind but that I was busy at the moment so I'd get back to him. Then I realised I needed to get some cream for Leilei's mosquito bites. He has a great many and it's horrible to see as a parent. I keep the anti-mosquito thing burning at night and electrify any I find flying around with the cool electric tennis raquet that kills them instantly with a satisfying "bang!". I found a chemist two minutes away and asked for the "Li Yao Gao". They had small pots of the stuff for only 2 kuai so I bought five and adminstered them over Leilei's body.

Actually finished what I was doing by half ten so I took the bike down to the normal KTV place where one of the lovely ladies at the door, adorned in a purple full-length dress with no sleeves, ushered me to one of the big rooms that was filled with about thirty people mostly around my age, with a couple of kids. I was a bit shocked at how drunk they all seemed to be (not the kids). The women (whose husbands were all there) all came up to me with bottles of beer (luckily 330ml) asking me to gan bei with them. I managed three of the small bottles but was full of fizz and couldn't manage any more. One particularly drunk man was trying to get me to dance with the women, so instead I did my party piece of singing "You Are My Rose" and "Friend", then even A Wu looked uncomfortable at the inebriated state of most of these people, especially in front of the kids, so we made a hasty exit and went to sit outside at the seafood place near our house where some friends were, and had a more civilised time until midnight when Waipo rang me up to say Leilei wasn't sleeping. So I said my goodbyes and got home two minutes later to find him sound asleep with Xixi. Although tired, I somehow managed to stay up to watch the Uruguay - Holland semi final. I'd put a quid on 3-3 at 100-1. With just a couple of minutes left Uruguay came back to 3-2 so it was an exciting last part of the game. I predict 2-1 Germany over Spain tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment