Saturday, July 10, 2010

Ping pong and volleyball

No more rain but still humid. Was nice to have a lie-in under the air-conditioning as Jiuma took the kids out for the morning. At 5pm took Leilei for a meal at the place around the corner that just opened last week and had a nice ribs and rice. Then just after 7pm the kids had gone out and I had some time to myself. So I put on some shorts and took the bike to the old people's leisure centre. Immediately a woman asked me to play ping pong with her. Surprisingly I was much much better than her (although 20 years her junior). Then some old bloke turned up and she gave the table to him and me. And then I found the meaning of pain. Then another even better bloke came along and watched for a while. I found another depth of pain as I practised returning serves and returning a few smashes. After one hour I was sopping wet and felt like vomiting. I walked outside to search for a semblance of a breeze and found a slight one next to one of the volleyball courts. My face was as red as a table tennis bat, and I was sweating like the outside of a cold bottle of water. But I held my head up to watch the 60 and 50 year olds playing five-a-side volleyball. I was asked to join in but my legs disagreed so I made my excuses and kept watching. But 10 minutes later I said "ok" and I walked onto the pitch to the delight of the other players. I had no time to take in the rules but I learnt after a while that your team could have up to three hits before hitting over the net and you weren't allowed to hit downwards (a smash) within three feet of the net. Apart from that you circulate every time you win a point. This was incredibly fun! I spent an hour listening to incredulous laughter at my height, my shots and even my misses. Every good shot was cheered and bad shots were not criticised - for all members. Although the other members ranged from 60-80 years of age we all had a great time and I've never seen so many genuinely wide grins on both teams. Our team won three games to one. But most importantly I felt that in not too many years I'd love to feel part of such a community.

No comments:

Post a Comment