Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Powercut postponed so ping pong and volleyball again

We found out at the last minute that in fact they had cancelled the electricity cut-off for tomorrow so we didn't go to Nanning in the end.

After working all day (it's lovely that the kids are generally taken out during this time) I needed some physical exercise. As I was alone in the house I drove to the old folks' home for a game of table tennis. I warmed up by playing a lady pushing 60 who was actually worse than me but screamed in amusement every time she lost a point. Then some bloke in his sixties came around and he was a lot better. He used me as practice by trying to return my smashes, and I found it a very good exercise as I really improved my accuracy. This time I played topless and it definitely helped, though maybe because it distracted my opponents.

I thought it must be getting on for 10pm when I fancied a break but it was only 9. And the elders from the volleyball court bade me come over and play with them. So I did, and this time I was much better as I knew the rules. They were in peels of laughter as I started doing smashes. They all thought I was two metres tall. My team won all our four matches and then I was told to go to the men's court. Ah, I'd been playing with mostly octogenarian women for the last half an hour. The men's court had people closer to my age and leaps and bounds better, literally. I didn't play particularly well and we lost 21-17 - probably all down to me. But they welcomed me back the next time I could make it, so I thanked them and gratefully went on my way home for a shower.

No comments:

Post a Comment