Thursday, July 29, 2010

Staying at the hotel for electricity

I had been warned that there would be no electricity today from 5am till late at night. However it was only in our area of Pingguo and the hotel would have some, so I would go there to work. I did not actually manage to sleep at all overnight, but I was just dropping off at 6am when my body noticed it was hotter than it should have been. I looked up and realised that the air conditioning unit was no longer working. And as it was dawn it dawned on me that the electricity had gone. It wasn't so hot I couldn't sleep, but I thought I'd take advantage of being awake to go to check that Pingguo International Hotel did have leccy. Well it did, and I asked the nice ladies at reception what was the earliest time I could check in. I gathered it was midday, so I thanked them and drove back to the house and slept a couple of hours till 11am.

A Ni used to work at the Pingguo Internation Hotel, and had some friends there, so I rang her to ask if I could get a "special price". Of course I could, I just had to ask Xiao Huang. So I turned up at 12pm, dirty and smelly and ragged haired as I hadn't had a shower (the boiler at our place is electrically heated). Xiao Huang was there and had a particularly pretty and genuine smile. A Ni had already called her to arrange the room for me and I just had to present my passport and hand over the 150 kuai. 15 quid is very good as the room was very tasteful, lending a magnificent view of the guang chang, and having an interesting feature I've only ever seen in Chinese hotels: there is a clear glass separating the main room from the shower so you can ensure your loved one is washing him/herself correctly. However, in this place your loved one had the option of closing a blind to avoid your lechorous eyes.

I needed a bite to eat, so I thought I'd step out and find a local place. As the hotel is very close to Boss Yang's office, I popped inside to see if he wanted to join me. Unwise move if you only fancy a quick bite. I found him and other bosses in another boss's room drinking tea. They bade me sit down and share a couple of glasses of "pu er cha" and I didn't resist, except to say that I would only have a couple as I needed to have a bite to eat, get back and shower and have a siesta. Well it transpired it was 12.30pm so they all decided it was time to eat. We got in a couple of cars; four bosses, and a lady, and drove a roundabout route to go to a restaurant that has just opened next to the kids' school by the guang chang.

We arrived and it looked dark. Immediately we asked if there was no electricity, and the waitress turned on the lights as if to say "yes there is", although it would have been quicker to actually say "you dian ah". We asked for the biggest private room, and while sitting down, three other blokes came in who were apparently other bosses from a tree-felling company outside of Pingguo, who were involved in business with Boss Yellow. A Wu also turned up, so there were around ten of us all told. Of course, as there were new people around we had to gan bei with them a few times, and with my lack of sleep it made me a little tipsy eventually. But I was amazed to hear that apparently all the bottles of 600ml Qingdao beers were 1 kuai each - a special offer that was to last a week in celebration of the new opening of the restaurant. I wasn't quite sure whether to believe it or not, and I thought better than to question A Wu's statement in front of his boss-friends.

The meal was actually very good in the end, though it started somewhat badly when all the bosses complained about the oily table surface - which triggered a few waitresses with tissues to start rubbing it down (that sounds like a sentence ripe for miscontruction). It was nice to speak to some Pingguo outsiders, as I could explain to them a bit about our culture and language. Weird to think I can actually do something like that now.

I left before most of the others did, citing work, and walked across the guang chang in the lovely 2pm heat. The only people I saw at this time were young couples in the early stages of romance, holding hands or sitting on a bench together. It's not very seemly to do this in public apparently, but in such heat most sane people are at home in the shade, and love doesn't make you sane. But fatigue does, and I managed a quick shower finally before getting into the firm if comfortable bed in my room and grabbing three hours' sleep. I awoke at 5.30pm and started to catch up on work again, only to be called by Tan at 6pm that we had been invited to eat by Lao Pan and to be at the restaurant in 20 mins. I didn't mind, so got there at 6.30pm and stayed for no more than an hour with just six of us, before making my excuses and going home to work for a bit. But then Tan turned up needing her mobile charged and stayed for a good half an hour.

The electricity came back in the evening, earlier than expected, so I went home at about midnight. Due to a late start I worked till 3am. There was a lot to get through.

No comments:

Post a Comment