Thursday, November 16, 2023

Passionfruit alcohol

I realised I was running out of money. Tan had sent me 500 kuai when I arrived in Hong Kong to add to the 400 or so I still had from the summer. So I've not really spent much at all, though others have on my behalf. So I sent Li Kun £227 and asked him to send me 1500 kuai of the 2000 he received thanks to Wise (and yes I had to "explain" that the money was effectively remittance for "family"). It only took a matter of a few minutes before I received the 1500 from him, then another message saying what about the other 500. I told him it was the least I could do to let him have that but a couple of minutes later he sent me that 500 too. Well, I didn't accept it, and within 24 hours it will be back in his wallet.


In the afternoon a friend pinged me to invite them and two friends to eat beef at the place around the corner. Oh well why not? They would bring some passionfruit alcohol as is quite normal here...there doesn't seem to be the concept of corkage luckily. So for 188 kuai you get a meal that is pretty much enough for four people. Having said that, it was mostly nei zang (innards) and despite me starting to identify with being culturally a bit Chinese I'm still not a massive fan of intestines. Liver, fine, lungs, why not? But there's something about the taste and texture of intestines that doesn't go down too well with me unless it's bbq and from a duck. So we ordered an extra dish of "normal" beef too. The passionfruit alcohol was stronger than I really expected, and after two hours the two litres were pretty much gone.

Nei zang in the middle with "normal" beef to follow up on right


Then Feng di pinged me to go to a meal tomorrow evening...wow - more than 12 hours' notice! Ok well that looks to be Friday night sorted then. Then somehow I got in contact with Haiwei and found myself back at his place a bit later to help finish some food. I ended up taking his friend Nong back home. Ended up being a cracking evening and somehow didn't get home till 4am.

No comments:

Post a Comment