Sunday, November 26, 2023

Last ever dog meal with Uncle Yellow

Woke up with a nasty cough and used what energy I had to put out the clothes to dry that I'd washed last night. Awl called at 1.30pm which was 5.30am his time and we had a chat and I made a mini pack of pao mian, which is what the locals call convenient noodles.


Uncle Yellow pinged me to eat dog this evening but I told him I really didn't think I'd be able to make it as I was feeling shit. So he told me to get some kip and let him know but not too late. I did try to get back to sleep but even the Spanish counting didn't quite do the trick, coughing kept interrupting. Some time before 3pm I gave up trying to sleep. I'd already finished the bit of local cough medicine that was left on the shelf, then Tan told me she'd left some Ibuprofen in Nezha's room from the summer so I did a couple of them. I was still feeling rough so tried a little nip of whisky and actually after the second one it seemed that the cough was diminishing.


It dawned on me that I had precious little time left so got back to Uncle Yellow to say I would do my best to make it. But he had a go at me getting back so late and he'd have to check if others could make it. Ah, they were only going to eat dog if I was going. Well I thought I wouldn't eat dog again, and told myself this would be the last time, if he could find others to eat with. But of course he did and within half an hour he told me to come down to Jiang Bing Lu for the said dog.


Well I turned up slightly late, and Uncle Yellow was waiting outside for me and shouted at me as you do. His name is Huang Lei but since 2003 I've known him as Uncle Yellow and I guess that won't change now. Having said that, I call many of my friends by different names from when I first knew them, e.g. A Wu used to be Xiao Li. I mean he still is but I guess as you get to know someone better your relationship changes and therefore the way you address them does. But it doesn't apply to everyone; Li Kun has always been Li Kun for example. I'll probably never understand.


Uncle Yellow remembered from 2019 that I rather liked Wolf Blass red wine and bought a box of 6 bottles of their 2017 "Gold Label", which looking online seemed to be £21 a bottle! Having said that, many people here have said that imported brands are often fake. Anyway, with my cough and cold I could barely appreciate it but had more taste than beer would have had. But, like beer, we still chinked glasses and drank fairly regularly, albeit smaller lugs, and I made my beer glass-sized glass last four sips each time.

Great dog meal with Uncle Yellow on the right and Boss Zhou high-fiving his wife


A Ning turned up a couple of minutes after me, with his wife and second daughter. Then a couple of more blokes did, plus one who only drank tea as he maybe needed to work later. Uncle Yellow asked me if I liked the monarchy. Hmm...this was not directly political but very close. I told him I had mixed feelings - on the one hand I do rather like having a non-political figurehead, but on the other hand it seems a bit unfair that you can just get born into such an easy life that we the taxpayers pay for. He very much agreed about the second point, and said they were very expensive. Yes, but I said they also bring in a lot of tourism so it's not black and white. He also agreed with the point about it being an easy life if you have blue blood. But again I countered my own argument saying it's effectively true for anyone born into a rich family. But here he disagreed, at least in the context of China. He said before anyone who had a lot of money could buy anything, but recently that wasn't the case. He made it very clear that these days just because you were rich didn't mean you had the means to do anything. I'm not quite sure how true that is, but I'm very willing to believe it's more like that here than some more capitalist places (and I'm aware that China is also capitalist). It's a conversation I would very much like to have engaged in for longer but we had to drink again and I realised I was running the risk of moving to something too political so we moved on to other subjects.


The meal was great of course, and didn't really need the dog. At 8.55pm the tea drinker got a message that he wouldn't need to work and immediately poured himself a glass of bai jiu and ganbei'd us. This went on for another hour but I needed to meet A Wu so before 10pm we all finished and one of the blokes insisted on driving me to where A Wu was near the football stadium. The driver got a didi che back I think, and when I walked in I was told we'd go back to A Wu's office so I ended up driving him there. So much for having a driver. At his office it was just a few bosses, and after having a small bite to eat I was flaking so made my excuses and went home.


I was home at midnight and although I'd planned to chat with the lads I fell asleep a few minutes later. I then woke up at 3.45am and saw a missed call from Sisi at 3.22am. I told her I'd been asleep so she sent me a picture of a bottle of wine and said she fancied some cigarettes, which was confirmed when she called me again. Well it was 4am but this is Pingguo and I thought "why not?". I put on my clothes and took the dian dong che to the football stadium but I couldn't find anywhere selling fags. So I asked at a local bbq place and they said they could get me a pack for 10 kuai. Err, ok, I scanned the Weixin code and paid, and a couple of minutes later the bloke handed me a box of them. I shouldn't really ask questions. Then to the other side of the stadium to the same bar as the other day to resume drinking red wine, although this time much more slowly. Sisi was a bit drunk and talking wistfully about her late father and I knew she really missed him. I ended up taking her back at 6.45am and was home myself very shortly after...another 7+am finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment