Friday, November 24, 2023

Democracy and 4 evening meals

Although I woke up at 11am I felt shit and had a cold I blame on catching from Xiao Nong. I stayed in bed until she pinged me at 1pm to go for lunch. Fair enough we'd talked about lunch for a few days but either her or I had got up too late. I really wasn't in the mood but forced myself to wash my face and shave, and put on the nicely dry clothes from the drier Tan had only let me know about yesterday. Xiao Nong was waiting for me at her building's gate, but she had forgotten I'd left my dian dong che there last night. So it was slightly fun to have a go at her as normally she has a go at me for forgetting things.


I drove her to the centre of town where we went down to the underground mall and she got won tun and I had jiaozi. For some reason it was just a really nice experience despite me feeling hungover. We then went for a drink of cola and green tea. We were talking about irrational fears; she doesn't like insects and I don't like flying. She's never flown before, and only been as far away as Guangzhou. She didn't even understand "turbulence" in Mandarin and I had to explain it sometimes got bumpy. After that she said she'd never set foot in a plane. I explained that I use logic (and G&T) to get over it, and opened up the Flightradar24 app to show her how many planes were currently flying over China and how none of them would crash. Then she told me that seeing those aeroplane icons gave her trypophobia. What? I had to look it up - an aversion to the sight of irregular patterns. Well I suppose we had just both learnt a new word in our mother tongues.


She then invited me to eat with them again tonight and asked me what I liked to eat. Well, I'm quite partial to the raw fish so she called the people who were at the market to get some. Then we went there ourselves and I had another hit of the sensory overload that is a market here. We met a mate at the market who was buying the food and I made my excuses to leave for a while before tea.

The first time I've seen "democracy" in Pingguo


So I had a little time to go home and take a shit on a proper toilet, and take a shower. I went to Nong's neighbour a bit before 6pm but really wasn't feeling well. They'd bought the raw fish for me so I forced myself to have some of it. And had to force the beer down too. Nong didn't drink for a while but then we started playing mo pai, which I'm getting used to but still don't know how to play properly. I managed till 8pm but A Wu had invited me out so I made my excuses and left.

Typical scene at Pingguo market


A Wu had just come back from Nanning and was with his family having a bite to eat so I joined him for a bit. Yet more food, including oysters, but he took family back then some other bloke came and when A Wu came back I took him to Pingguo International Hotel and we met a couple of other bosses for some boring beer. Then advertising friend Nong pinged me to meet up at the same place as last time so that was a fine excuse to make my excuses and leave. But A Wu reminded me that his Boss Zhou (as opposed to Uncle Yellow's Boss Zhou) had cooked and we were to go there later to eat. Oh.


So it was off to my third eating place of the evening and I spent a pleasant 45 minutes with Nong and muscle boss where I had two cups of you cha and very few strong Li Quan beers. I couldn't really get much more into my stomach though. Nong said if I needed an excuse to remove myself from company I didn't want to be with I didn't have to wait for her to ping me, which is nice to know, if a bit late. We tried to arrange a meet-up before I left and agreed Tuesday would probably be the best day. Whether that happens or not is probably 50/50.


At getting on for midnight I left for Boss Zhou's having remembered to bring the bottle of red wine I'd got from Sainsbury's a month back. Even Xixi recognised him as a decent bloke during the summer when we went for a meal there, so I wanted to give him a small token of appreciation for his company and food. Of course the table was full of drunk men and a couple of women, and of course I had to ganbei with most of them over the course of the next hour or so.

I noticed the beer tops are changing

No comments:

Post a Comment