Friday, November 17, 2023

Musical meal for Boss Li

Up middayish so not too bad considering last night's frivolities. Quail eggs were once again for lunch, and the afternoon became evening as Li Kun pinged me to go to his office for 6pm so we could go for the meal with Feng di. Once there I was given a huge drum to take on my dian dong che which meant I could barely steer. More importantly, it meant there would likely be music again at the meal...which would probably mean a guitar would be thrust in my arms again. I really wish I could sing well, like be able to properly exhale, not just keep in tune. I wonder if that sort of thing is still learnable at my age. I'm rather self-conscious about it but would enjoy it much more knowing it sounded ok.


I managed to keep up with Li Kun's dian dong che with his wife and daughter just about and a few minutes later we ended up at the original Li Jia He Xian for the first time in about five years. Wow, I thought it had moved to north of the city but no it is still here too. We entered a massive room with a round table that must have been able to seat at least 25 people and I knew I potentially had a rather large audience. Each seat had its own huoguo and there was loads of raw meat to choose from. We were relatively early to arrive but others soon did and before long there was a great atmosphere. Apparently it was Boss Li's meal as he'd just opened a new business. I took quite a lot of pride in being the first person to walk up to him and ganbei him and wish him luck in his business. To be honest I also was aware that music may start soon so I'd want some Dutch courage, not for the first time this year.

Yet another amazing meal


And yes, a bit later a guitar duly arrived and some bloke started singing. And yes, after that it was my turn and I did a few Simon and Garfunkel numbers as per usual. But it seemed that wasn't enough. Some teacher bloke started playing Hotel California and wanted me to sing it! Bloody hell it's much too high for me...but sod it I did it anyway with thanks to lyrics I found on the phone. Then I had to do a rendition of Hey Jude. Then a bloke started singing a lovely song I sort of learnt about 12 years ago (You mei you ren ceng gaosu ni wo hen ai ni?), and I even volunteered to join in with him, until finally we broke into my favourite Pengyou. Gosh, what a fun night! This sort of stuff never happens in a public place in the UK.

Li Kun said that tomorrow we'd go out to prepare pig skin. I don't know if this was meant literally or not but he said it would be at 10am which sounded rather early, given how the evening was going. I guess it's some sort of cultural thing so I should probably go.

Ended up getting home after midnight and had a brief chat with the lads. Tan had advised me to get a flight from Nanning to Shenzhen rather than a train, as the train would mean spending over an hour on the tube. I don't really agree with this but at 1.30am I was a little tiddly and bought the £47 flight ticket anyway. The train would probably have been more convenient and a little cheaper but whatever...

No comments:

Post a Comment