Tuesday, November 21, 2023

Lin Hong meal and another late one

I awoke at 2pm and although it would have been easier to slip back to sleep I had no real excuse. I pinged Yang to apologise that I wouldn't make it to Tiandong today, then got up and boiled the quail eggs I bought the other day.


I noticed on Weixin that I'd spent 300 kuai at just gone 3am last night. I was in the bar so reasoned that it must have been to pay for some of the food and drink. Lord knows I've taken advantage of being invited out so much, so it's more than fair enough to make some pay-back.


Well instead of going to see Yang at least that meant I could take up Lin Hong on her offer to eat at the place I met her yesterday afternoon. She'd pinged me to say to come at 6pm then pinged me again to say I should come earlier to help out the bloke who was cooking. How I could possibly help out I didn't know but I said I'd get there around 5.30pm and indeed did. Not much was ready and there wasn't much for me to do so I noticed that quite a few people were holding up signs saying "cars let people" - or at least ”车让人“ which is a literal translation but really should mean priority to pedestrians. For some reason five of the people holding up such signs wanted me to take a photo of them. Not a photo of me with them but just me taking a photo. Well I did and they commented on how well I took photos in a way Tan has never done as she thinks I can't do that. I asked a lady with such a sign if it was important to wear a helmet. Indeed it was, and as a girl on a dian dong che went past she said in a very low voice "mei nu chuan toukui". It's not like she could have heard her at all, but I didn't tell her than.

车让人:vehicles let people - a sentiment I most firmly agree with


On a walk around the market there were signs saying it is prohibited to use wildlife as food. Hmm...bit of a grey area surely but I suppose some sort of recognition of a possible cause of a recent pandemic given the specific type of "wildlife" depicted in the warning


It ended up being a lovely meal and only a couple of the blokes were drinking. I managed six cans of Li Quan 2.8% but felt the effects more than I expected. At 9pm I made my excuses and left, and stopped off at the supermarket by the guangchang to pick up a naughty bottle of G and some zero-sugar drinks. Back home, at 10pm I almost literally crashed out, sleeping for an hour in my coat under the bright light of the bedroom.

Great idea to have a sort of bbq to grill stuff round the outside and a huoguo in the middle...the beef was guiltily good

Such a good idea I think we'll have to get one....and nice memories of Pingguo 2023


At 11pm I must have woken as I pinged Nong to say "good night", even though I'd not seen her today. But straightaway I got a video call saying to come over and have a drink as there were various people there. So I had another "sod it" moment and popped over. And promptly lost badly at cai ma for 30 minutes. One of Nong's friends said she'd take me to the countryside tomorrow to bake stuff in mud, which is apparently a local custom. So I said thanks and thought it probably wouldn't happen. Shortly after just about everyone left as they had work the next day, so I stayed for a while and eventually got home after 2am. It was good to have a chat with Mat and then eventually Awl and got to sleep not long after 4am.

No comments:

Post a Comment