Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Nice afternoon with Yang and more guitar with Nong

Strangely woke up at 9.30am and despite a boring YouTube video about metaphysics and counting in Spanish I couldn't sleep. And anyway my friend Yang had pinged me to say he was back from Tiandong and was I awake? I decided to reply in the affirmative as it would force me not to try to sleep more and I was yet to see him this year. So he said to call him a bit later and we would go to the lake in the afternoon.


So I grabbed a coffee but couldn't really face eating anything. Then, at gone 11.30am I did something silly and had a decaff coffee and added the last of the whisky. I needed to perk myself up and this was a poor excuse. But a bit later I grabbed a shower and called Yang and he said to go to the supermarket by the guangchang and call him when there. This I duly did and after 15 minutes he turned up in a new car. I had no idea what to expect so brought with me my powerbank, a long-sleeved top, and my trunks and goggles just in case.


We drove just for a minute then picked up his wife and a small kid who I think is their grandchild but was too embarrassed to ask as I should know. The car was one of the many BYD (Build Your Dreams) and of course electric. We drove the few minutes to the lake I'd taken Leilei and Nezha to back in early August, and I was told that Pingguo is particularly good due to things like this and I didn't disagree.


Yang parked up and retrieved some stuff from the boot, and we walked down to a place I recognised from August; it was the "pier" that I'd swum to from the other side of the lake three months ago. Yang set up a large picnic floor and a tent, then sorted out chairs and a table and some food of course. Actually I was famished and not feeling great so really appreciated the zongzi plus the pig blood sausages. And I didn't miss the lack of beer.

Sorted for the afternoon


Yang and I left his wife and grandchild to go for a walk, as is our wont. I understand him more than most people here (probably because he's from the north) so it was weird to hear him say "kong que". This was one of those times where I was grateful for Google translate's voice recognition system and when I spoke into it (3rd tone then 4th tone) it turned out it was "peacock". Then wouldn't you know it we were next to an enclosure with about 100 of the said fowls. He said he didn't think you could eat them and I only agreed because I'd never been offered before. But why not?


The walk was great though, due mainly to the conversation and the fact it wasn't boiling hot. We got back 45 minutes later to see four young ladies had also set up in that place, and cooking some meat over a gaslit stove as you do. All in all it was a very comfortable afternoon, but I was quite happy to get back home around 4pm.

It's a bit 1984 but not much more than London


Yes, I like Pingguo too

Singing on the way back as you do


Advertising friend Nong then invited me to eat tonight. Well that was great but a mate had invited me yesterday to eat tonight. But that mate had also done so in the summer then couldn't make it but didn't tell me about it so I told Nong I hoped to be able to make it but would confirm later. Indeed the other bloke didn't get back to me so I asked Nong what time. 6.30pm, so I had plenty of time. Though of course after a shower it was getting on for 7pm so I pinged to say I'd be late but she said she was out buying food anyway.


So I turned up fashionably late at 7.15pm as Nong was asking if I was coming. It was the same place as last time when I had to play guitar and sing but this time there were no musical instruments in view thankfully. Muscle boss was there, as were a number of other people, most of whom I don't think I knew. And of course it was another fantastic meal. There was far too much for all of us but then we got a delivery of sashimi salmon and slices of something else I couldn't work out. Ah, but that was "e gan", well I understand that and said it was goose liver. But it was more than that...it was actual foie gras, and it was the most tasty thing I've eaten in years. What a lovely texture, so good it should be illegal, and is in some countries and US states. On another note it was great to hear some people say "ni hao jiu mei you bian le", or "you haven't changed in many years". I think they meant physically, at least I hope so as I certainly haven't become more mature mentally. I like to think that keeping fit in the UK has helped with that, which of course includes table tennis.

One of the bloke's wives - I had to translate what her tee-shirt said...I'm not sure her kids understood

The stuff with the purple edge is the foie gras - absolutely gorgeous


I should have predicted that guitars would turn up, and they duly did with a bloke around 9pm. They were all pushing for me to sing but I said the guy who'd just turned up with the guitar was the professional. No! I was the professional according to them! Oh well, I had a couple more ganbeis of the 2.5% beer and did a rendition of Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard because why not? Once again I'd sung for my supper.


Then some bloke turned up who apparently was into stones. I sort of appreciate this now as I know Ma Laoban has some, but don't really get it. He said he'd get one for me (he'd had a couple of beers), and left and came back a few minutes later with a palm-sized stone which apparently depicted a mother and child. He said it was from the river, and that when I got back I was to give it to Tan as she is from Pingguo. And apparently it's worth 2000 kuai. I didn't really know what to say. It didn't look particularly special to me but I appreciated the sentiment in a way I'm guessing Tan won't.

Mother and daughter stone to give to Tan


We finished soon after midnight and although I should have slept I ended up being awake and watched the City v Leipzig match but I think I was falling in and out of sleep, but was awake to witness the comeback 3-2 win.

Bugger I have to pack this...I won't have any space for my own stuff!


No comments:

Post a Comment