Thursday, August 24, 2017

Rain and silk

Yeah finally a day without work. We were all up reasonably late so had a brunch of dian xin, or dim sum in English. I got the kids to A Xia’s shop just before a typhoon arrived to knock out the electricity in this area of town. So the kids went in A Xia’s car to Waipo’s and I had the opportunity to wear the cover-all blue top that goes over the front of the bike too to get on the dian dong che to go home. Despite the covering I was nearly soaked by the time I got there - perhaps I had it on wrong. But it didn’t matter as we had electricity there still.

Li Kun called me to go to his business and I had no excuse or reason not to so said I’d be downstairs in a few minutes where he was duly waiting for me in his nice 4x4. We drove for 10-15 minutes outside of Pingguo during which time I was trying to understand what his business was. I know he works for the local council - something about housing - but this appeared to be something on the side.

I was none the wiser when we arrived. There was a large shed/factory building, a few people wandering around in blue overalls, and a nasty stench. I felt like I could be in a scene from the Chinese version of Breaking Bad. We got out and walked inside the building and I saw it was mostly empty except for a pile of wheat-sized bags (the size of bags filled with wheat rather than the size of wheat). With the help of Pleco on my phone I came to learn that this was a silk producing factory, or rather, a place that produced the raw material from which silk is made. The idea is that the silkworm cocoons are picked from wherever they originate from, then they are gently cooked so as to kill the silkworms but preserve the silk. The resulting white balls are then distributed to a distribution centre in Nanning which sends them to the world (notably Italy).

Where you kill the silkworms
Pre-burning cocoons
I think this is a "good" one
Silk cocoons to be distributed
It was a satisfying afternoon, seeing something new and learning something new. Then Li Kun somehow got onto the subject of soil-less growing, a subject close to my heart, and we exchanged opinions on how it was the future of food production, though in his case the interests was more spurred on by “money, money!” than mine as a potential way of helping developing countries and those not blessed with an abundance of water grow the stuff they need. In fact I’m fascinated by the potential for anywhere to grow anything, just given the appropriate amounts of heat, water, pH, light, etc. Potentially we wouldn’t have to import exotic fruit vast distances or keep them frozen for months at a time. It’s got to happen….
We met Li Kun's beautiful little daughter too

Back in Pingguo I met the kids at Waip’s for a meal before being invited to another meal with A Wu and bosses, before finally picking up the kids again and getting home. 


Happy bosses

No comments:

Post a Comment