Friday, August 18, 2017

Work, Beer, Insects

A bit of a typical Chinese day here. A Wu told me to go to Lu Wen’s beef noodle place so I did as I didn’t really have anything else to do other than work and food was a good option. He arrived quite a lot later which is unusual as normally I’m the one told to “hurry up!”. By the time he turned up it was time to get the kids to feed them, so I did and when I got back 10 minutes later he’d finished his food. So much for manners! But maybe I was being a bit presumptory. He then said he wanted to invite me for an evening meal but I had to turn this down due to work.



Later on we apparently had planned to go to a local hotel buffet for tea (so much for turning down A Wu), and I explained that due to work I could go at 6pm, but I would need to dial into a 10 min meeting at 6.30. That wouldn’t have been a problem (well I didn’t get confirmation I’d get a quiet room in the hotel) but I was told that that 6pm was now too early and I suggested 6.45 which would be perfect. Of course I got a call at 6.40 to say that the place was too crowded and too noisy so we weren’t to go.



I got another call from A Wu during my meeting to say they were eating at the usual bosses’ place, so as I needed to feed the kids I got them some jiao zi and pancake thing I knew they’d definitely eat. I did more gan beis than I should have done in the hour we were there but sailed through the next meeting I had that evening for some reason.

The kids seemed happy enough

Pouring some bitter berry alcohol out of the largest hip flask ever created (I only tried a little)
Later, at the Nan Cheng Bai Hua supermarket I had significant progress in my ongoing quest to find 0 calorie fizzy drinks: sugar free 7-up! I was so happy I didn’t mind the fact that my old Nectar card wasn’t working and I had to transfer the piddly balance to a new loyalty card. So far I think the only value is to remove a few mao from the total to make it a rounder number to pay.

The Water Man IM’d me to ask me to go for a drink and I answered non-committedly, as first I had to drop of the kids then go and get some shampoo. But I did go there for a couple of beers before meeting Haiwei and his family in bar 3000 Degrees for a small bite. And finally A Wu called me to go and eat insects in a place a good 2-3 km away. But it was easy to follow the location sent via WeChat as this year the map works ok. This seemed to be a friend’s house and you could tell they’d been drinking for some time. I did quite like the various insects though...I can’t wait till they become a cheap enough form of protein that they’re not considered to be a speciality.

The insects were very good
Finally got back at 1am but the Water Man was still out so paid him a quick visit for a last beer before turning in for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment