Thursday, August 03, 2017

Bad lift

Up at a reasonable 8am to spend two hours getting beaten at ping pong. It's become quite a routine not just this year but from the last 6-7 years really. I'm not sure how I'd cope without the exercise. I picked up the kids at midday from A Xia's shop and we went to have gorgeous sweetcorn soup at a place I've been to a few times. They had a little egg-fried rice too. I thought I'd ordered two fried eggs too but what appeared was a much better option - an omelette with plenty of greens that I had to scoff myself as the kids were having none of it.

Back home I only managed a 15 minute doze before being asked to take Tan's pad to Waipo's, where I also got tea for the kids. We had decided to go to ping pong in the evening but were stuck at Waipo's for quite a while as a massive storm yet again laid drops the size of small goldfish abound outside. Only when the drops were scarce enough to do a Billy the Whizz style escape did Leilei and I rush onto the dian dong che to go home to pick up the ping pong bats, or racquets as I understand the official term is, however unlikely it sounds. Actually it's been proven that running fast in the rain makes you get wetter...you live and learn.

Actually apparently it's Billy Whizz, not Billy the Whizz...

Strangely, on the way up the lift stopped at floor 9 where a bloke was waiting. I told him we were going up but he was welcome to come, but he motioned that he would wait. Or he didn't understand a word I said and preferred his own company. A few seconds later as we were ascending we had the awful experience everyone always thinks about but rarely has. The lift stopped all of a sudden and the lights went out leaving us in pitch darkness. For the first few split seconds Leilei and I thought we were falling such was the change in gravity force. It took me a couple of seconds to logic out that it must just be the electricity as we weren't splattered on the floor. We were sweating bullets though as the lack of air conditioning added to the palpatations we were still having. Although petrified, Leilei had the presence of mind to check his fitness watch to see how augmented his heart rate was, though he kept whimpering how scared he was.

It was up to me to remain calm and collected and let him see that I wasn't afraid. I was acutely aware of the heat and the potential lack of oxygen, and managed to prise apart the internal doors. Then Leilei berated me for not having a flashlight app on my phone, so I took a picture using the flash and found we were almost exactly between two floors, I guessed between 11 and 12. Then it dawned on me that the phone in my hand was the obvious piece of apparatus to get us out of here. I was so grateful to see one measly bar of reception, and it was enough to contact Tan, who said she'd call the manager. But it was getting so hot...try as I might I couldn't pull the outer set of external doors open more than an inch, but it was enough to let in some sweet, relatively cool air, not to mention a stab of light. It also gave me the opportunity to shout for help..."jiu ming! jiu ming!", I called, until Leilei told me I should be shouting "jiu women!". Not that it mattered - no-one heard us...we heard what we thought were footsteps, plodding slowly up the stairs, or maybe plodding down, but never getting quieter. We shouted at the footsteps again "jiu women!!" but they didn't hasten, and it was a good 30 seconds later we realised it was the sound of dripping water.

By the light of the phone I saw a number for the lift company so on Leilei's advice called it lest they be able to do anything. By this time Leilei was sitting on the floor as he'd seen a youtube video on how to survive lifts falling down, but in an effort to prove it was only the electricity that had gone I refused to do so and said this must happen all the time (though I didn't really believe that). We'd been in the lift now a good 10 minutes and I was really disappointed that no-one had come. But the lift company did answer the phone and I was explaining which building and what had happened when I realised it was pretty pointless...they wouldn't be able to do anything remotely and help would surely come before they could sort any. Sure enough, while on the phone a bloke came up the stairs and I shouted at the top of my voice so he'd know where we were. I immediately apologised to the woman on the other end of the phone who'd just been deafened by this, and explained it looked like help was at hand, so not to worry. The bloke was able to open the external door of the bottom half of the lift, but there was not so much space to get out there, so I bade him come up to the top half as we saw it. My only concern that the lift would surge into life and slice whoever was getting out of it at the time, so I went for the option that I thought would make for the quickest exit. As the top door opened I told the bloke to move out of the way and shoved Leilei as quick as I could out of the door, before being helped out myself.

What you might see when trapped in a lift - one third of the door of the 11th floor by your knees...

...and what you might see as you escape through the half-12th floor door

What a bloody relief after such a harrowing experience, but the bloke didn't look like much had happened...I guess it wasn't the first time, but how bad would it have been for an elderly woman of Waipo's frailty? They could have died! But it gave me an idea for something that should be mandatory - backup batteries on each lift with just enough power to get to the next floor and open the doors when something like this happens. Blackouts are not that uncommon here....

On the drive back to Waip's we found that only the traffic lights were also out; the other shops nearby all seemed to have electricity. Indeed when I came back to check half an hour later the electricity was back but Leilei understandably didn't want to go up yet. I thought about forcing him to to confront his new fear but let it go as Liangwen was calling me. Apparently instead of going to ping pong at 7.30 we were to go for a couple of drinks first with some mates. Leilei wanted to go back to Waipo's so I dropped him off and went back home to get the table tennis stuff, and actually felt my heart racing a little more as I got in the same lift that 40 minutes previously had trapped us in. In the house I called Liangwen to find out where to go but I didn't get through. I realised suddenly that I'd run out of credit...gosh so lucky that didn't happen an hour ago or we'd have been trapped considerably longer. Then in the lift down Haiwei called me to go out or something but he cut out and I tried to shout to call me back as I had no credit.

Liangwen had told me the name of the place but I only half remembered it, and without internet on the phone it was a bit random to try to find it, asking people who hadn't heard, so I had to wait for him to call me again asking where I was, and then keep him talking until I found a stranger to give the phone to. In the end it was just on the other side of the guangchang and we went to a restaurant room with about six rather drunk looking men, one especially so that when he spoke the others could barely understand either. I didn't know what to make of it really but I joined in a couple of glasses and we left within 20 minutes to ping pong. Haiwei called again to tell me to play ping pong in a different place, and sent me a link which I got as I was connected to the wifi. But I'd already decided to go with Liangwen, and picked up the kids on the way. We only stayed 45 minutes at the 6th floor ping pong place as I felt I should really see Haiwei, so said goodbye, and got back on the dian dong che. It only had four bars of electricity when not moving, and zero when you accelerated so I took it carefully as I got to the guangchang, but it started going seriously slowly and I realised we wouldn't make it, and I couldn't even tell Haiwei. We managed to limp back to the house at 8...7...6 kph, barely enough to balance on two wheels before totally giving up just as we arrived. 53 km we'd managed since we got the bike back...not bad...just got to remember to charge up at four bars next time.

Uncle Yellow had invited me to "drink beer" this evening and had called me a couple of times since table tennis. As it was just around the corner from Waipo's I left the kids there as Tan was out. It was his wife's friend's birthday but it seemed to be mostly blokes and bbq. They seemed a nice bunch, and there was the usual gan bei'ing and picture taking going on. But there was cake too, and although I didn't fancy it it was enough to entice the kids to come out for a bit. But it didn't last long as there wasn't that much to keep them interested so I dumped them off at Waip's again as the people here wanted to have a sing-song. In this case it actually meant that; one of them had a guitar and I finally noticed that the shop we were sitting outside of on the pavement (doing our own bbq) was a music shop. Some bloke did a nice rendition of Knocking on Heaven's Door, before a girl plucked up enough courage to do a song or two in Chinese. It was pleasant but I knew it was well gone 11 and I needed to take the kids back, so after a last gan bei I said goodbye and sure enough as I was taking the kids back I got the call from Tan berating me for being out so late with them...it's not as if they've ever been to bed before midnight so far!

Singing song at Uncle Yellow's wife's friend's birthday bbq

No comments:

Post a Comment