Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Horrid bandage, lost money, nice Last Supper

Got up at a reasonable 2pm considering last night. Then moved to the study for a tad more until the kids went out. I felt a bit crap and couldn’t face looking at my dressing but did have a shower. Tan was out with the kids so I decided to go and meet them but I was advised to go to a chemist to remove my bandage first of all, and I took this advice. I went to the chemist across from our house and explained what had happened and they insisted on first removing the bandage. That proved to be a painful experience and I nearly fainted during the process and when I actually glanced at the wound. Then she started doing something weird and I wasn’t sure what, I jerked my leg away and nearly jumped the length of the room. The woman was simply laughing at me but I felt sick. I wouldn’t let her near my leg for a bit until she convinced me she wasn’t going to do anything painful. In the end she got a capsule, then opened it and poured the powder from it over some of the wound. I had no idea if this was valid medicine or quackery and I didn’t have the vocabulary to get understandable information. I let her re-dress the wound softly while she told me not to use the cream the hospital gave me. I didn’t even bother to argue, but bought some more bandage and tape for later. Then she said I should come back later for some milli-wave treatment...what?

Applying a capsule of powder on my wound
Lunch was a buffet, but I wasn’t really in the mood for food. So I took the kids afterwards and I thought I’d go to the pharmacy again just for the purposes of finding out what this milli-wave crap was. You put some apparatus around the place that needs treatment and apparently millimetre waves are output and this heals things. Some boy was already there with his mum and had his hand in some contraption that was doing the waves. I was told to hold some walkie-talkie sized thing close to my wound, but didn’t feel a thing. I let this go on for two minutes, while looking at the milli-wave advertisements (with a white doctor of course). Then I put the stuff down as the kids were getting a bit bored. We were about to go when the nurse caught us and told me I hadn’t had enough time. I was polite enough to lie and say we needed to go somewhere, and was glad she didn’t charge us for the “treatment”. I can only imagine the waves might have some heating effect but I didn’t feel it.

Back home I suddenly remembered I’d recently got a lot of cash out of the bank. I’d had over 3000 kuai on me if I remembered correctly, but didn’t now. I looked in the obvious places but it was nowhere to be seen. So then I called Tan to ask her but she’d not seen it. I then thought the worst and realised it could have got lost in the shenanigans of early this morning. But it was so much it was worth not giving up. I must have had the money in my trouser pocket at some stage, so I looked in the washing machine, in the hanging washing but they weren’t there. Once again I called Tan who told me she’d thrown them out. Thrown them out! How was she supposed to know I suppose…. Without much hope I went downstairs to see if perchance they were in the bin. Normally old women go combing these bins at regular intervals to pick out anything recyclable, and money certainly is. But lo and behold after less than a minute’s rummaging, during which any passers-by must have thought I was completely mad, I found a blood-stained plastic bag, which on further inspection I found contained my trousers and a pair of now-red shoes. What a relief to find the cash still there in the back pocket! I even thought of rescuing the shoes, but in the context they were not that important, and I wouldn’t have time to get them cleaned anyway.

Disgusting trousers in disgusting bin, but the contents were not so

Phew

Relieved, we went out to the funfair and it was deserted, but I let the kids have a couple of goes on the bumper cars, by which time a couple more people had arrived and joined us. Then for the last time this year we went to the exercise park by the stadium till it was time for me to start my Last Supper for this year. 

Once again, invitation messages were sent out the same evening and nearly every bloke could make it; Luwen, who starts at 4am, was a little tired. Tan was out so I had to take the kids, and they both sopped over Li Kun’s new baby daughter, who was incredibly cute. I got a call from Tan to take the kids back quickly as it was late (it was 10.30pm) and we had to leave tomorrow (not till late afternoon and everything was packed). I didn’t argue though, and popped them home before coming back. It was a nice meal with mates, though partly due to yesterday a bit more subdued than usual, but at least this year we got to eat outside. Another call from Tan before midnight to tell me the same information about tomorrow was equally unnecessary but I used it as an excuse to wind down the evening and say goodnight to my mates for another year. I did stay up a little too late when I got back though.
Leilei adored Li Kun's new daughter...

...as did Xixi

Li Kun at the Last Supper

No comments:

Post a Comment