Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Piano and guitar at a friend's shop


After a full day of work I took the kids out to the guangchang where we did some shooting and kept them amused for 12 minutes. We then went for a drive for a bit until we almost literally bumped into Uncle Yellow, who invited us to eat bbq in the music shop. But the kids wanted to ride some more so we compromised somewhat and came back a bit later to after doing some shopping.

We came across some memorial with interesting writing that I'm hoping to understand soon
The government building in all its gaudy glory at night at the guangchang


At the music shop the kids ate a little but were still as shy as coconuts, so I wasn’t too displeased when Tan said she was going home so I dumped them off home and came back to some beer and cai ma. But of course they wanted me to play too. I spied an electric piano and asked if I could try that and knew it was a stupid question straightaway. Very unfortunately it didn’t have a sustain pedal so my renditions of Gladiolus Rag and Maple Leaf Rag didn’t sound as full as I would have liked, but it was really appreciated. Uncle Yellow told me he’d know me for 12 years and never knew I could play a bit of piano. I guess why would he?

But I spent more time with the guitar as I suppose it’s more of a social instrument. I was accompanied by bongo drums and some thing with hanging metal pipes that occasionally someone would brush to make a pleasant sound though I’m not sure how much it embellished The Boxer. Then Uncle Yellow was asking me about some Chinese songs and showing me the music and lyrics on his phone as though I’d just be able to leap into it...sorry mate!

Anyway it was a very fun evening and I said I’d come back. As I was in the mood I decided to go to Huang’s Beihai place for a last beer and chat. He was in fine fettle, greeting me like a long lost friend and constantly referring to me as “nalouzhan”, which is a local term for xiong di.

No comments:

Post a Comment