Saturday, August 26, 2017

Meeting a Ghanian

For the first time this year we had a meal at Li Jia He Xin as we’d been invited by Lao Lin and Lao Pan. This was a place we’d gone to something like twice a week in previous years but I think the economy here may have peaked and it’s not so common to spend so much any more.

Meal with Lao Pan at Li Jia He Xin

After the meal I took my laptop to the handwriting place I’d taken the kids before as I really wanted to watch the second half of the City match vs Bournemouth outside the house so I just turned up with my laptop and asked if it would be ok and of course it was. We managed a couple of drinks but I was firmly focused on the game...it was 1-1 and into injury time and the bloody stream went...no amount of coaxing it would bring it back so checked on Flashscores...90+5 and still 1-1...shit. But Sterling performed a miracle at 90+7 and I shouted out much to their bemusement. Gosh we really needed those three points...but please don’t leave it so late again.

The other day in the supermarket my ongoing nightmare literally came true; I met a foreigner - Steve, from Ghana and his mate. They stuck out even more so than me due to their hue, and I felt I needed to introduce myself as I’d actually heard about their existence. It turns out Steve is based in Pingguo and his mate Max is in Baise. We had swapped WeChat IDs and agreed to meet and tonight was to be the time. I called up Haiwei and he was in his office so I told Steve where it was. Apparently Max was back in Baise but his girlfriend is a local lass so there wouldn’t be a problem finding the place. They turned up and we had an enjoyable few beers and bits to eat. Haiwei was interested in his salary and when he found out what it was he was disgusted. He said foreigners should be paid more as it’s expensive to come here and they make better English teachers. I considered questioning that but thought the better of it.

It transpired that the next day we would take Steve to where Haiwei’s younger son goes to school to see if we could get him a better deal. But tonight was to drink beer and Steve and his girlfriend had obviously had some practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment