Monday, October 06, 2008

First day at school and haircut

Woke up at 7am to get Leilei ready for school. Lin Hong came around 7.45 and we drove behind her to the new you er yuan (sort of nursery/school) just next to the town square. It's a pretty nice building and there are hundreds of kids all apparently around the same age who go there.

To my surprise Lin Hong pointed out another Lao Wei (foreigner) who was leaving as we were entering. Apparently there is an American family with three kids living in Pingguo. I didn't speak to the bloke but sort of casually nodded my head to say "you're not alone now". I've seen two or three foreigners here before (teachers or involved with the big Aluminium company) but this is the first I've heard about some living here...

Well Leilei wasn't too keen on me leaving him and started to cry, probably because he didn't know anyone there. I sat with him in the middle of the class for a bit but he still wasn't having me leave so I just had to go and let him struggle with the teacher. I felt bad but when I came to pick him up she said he'd been good although weed himself (sometimes he won't tell you he needs to go).


Leilei's new school in Pingguo


Leilei's class (can you spot him?)

In the evening we ate at Xiao Li's house and I took the opportunity to wash some clothes. We need to get a washing machine this week. Later I took Leilei to get his hair cut at Tan's friend Lao Ma's salon. He'd promised that after I got my hair cut he'd do his, but as soon as it was his turn he said "no". It proved impossible to get him into the chair, even on my knee, until I gave him the electric razor to play with. Unfortunately he started using it to shave the hairs on my forearms. In fact that was the only time he'd allow Lao Ma to cut his hair. So by the time she was done I had patches of shaved forearm to show for my efforts.

My partially shaved arm - the cost of Leilei's haircut

No comments:

Post a Comment