Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Fireworks at 4.45am for National Day

Awoke to the sound of huge explosions at 4.45am. Then realised it was China’s national day and this was the first of a series of loud noises we would be subject to this week. This makes Valencia’s fallas seem tame.

It is traditional for families to get together at this time, so Tan’s brother came to pick us up in Tan’s sister’s car to go back to Nanning. It was rather squashed as his son A Heng also came. I was quite uncomfortable with Xixi on my lap in the front seat but we got there safely enough. Tan’s sister’s first child Chuan Chuan was there, and so was her elder sister and her son Ling Ming. I hadn’t seen these for two years so it was good to get together again.


Don't drive tiredly

It ended up being a gathering of some 15 people and Tan’s sister2’s boyfriend Lao Li did the cooking – there was a lot of meat and seafood. And beer for the boys. Actually when the food was nearly ready I noticed a distinct lack of beer so I made the 5 minute walk to the nearest place to buy a pack of nine Li Quan bottles as you do. Or don’t as it turns out. The security man at the entrance to the apartment complex started telling me off. I thought maybe you weren’t allowed to bring alcohol into the complex but he was just telling me I should have ordered someone to deliver it like everyone else does. I preferred doing it myself though as I do get rather cosseted over here and it gets quite suffocating at times.


Lovely grub

When I got to the house it transpired that two more nine-packs had been delivered during the ten minutes I was away, so we had 27 bottles of beer between the four men that drink. The meal was excellent and we only got through around 14 bottles which isn’t that much when you think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment