Thursday, October 16, 2008

Staying up till 4.30am to watch England

I stayed up till 1.30am and found a stream on the internet that purported to be showing the England game later. I wasn't too hopeful as although the quality was pretty good, it was showing a Poland game from a previous round. Worse, at 2.15am, it started showing repeats of women's weightlifting from the olympics...although I was quite impressed with the Chinese woman who won - I think it was 270kg clean and jerk.

Just as I was getting into it, the programme suddenly changed to one with two austere men with laptops and I thought it was the news...luckily the camera changed to the centre circle in Belarus where England were about to kick-off. With the help of a couple of beers I stayed up till 4.30am to see England win 3-1 and take a maximum 12 points from their first four games. Hurrah! This time two years ago I was watching us lose to Macedonia in the Euro qualifiers. Come on England!

Tan took Leilei to school today on the electric bike we're borrowing from her friend Xiao Wei. She's not used it for nearly two years as she doesn't want to get a tan. It reminds me a bit of the joke I didn't say at my wedding but maybe should have done: "That's the only holiday I've been on where I've come back with a Tan!". How we would have moaned on the boat four and a half years ago tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment