Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Patchy leccy but fixed wireless at Waip's

We woke up rather warmer than when we had gone to sleep. There was still no electricity and it was warming up. It was getting beyond a joke, but luckily I had the foresight to leave a wireless router at Er Jie's house last year, so I packed up my stuff again and trundled over there to see the kids and get back to work.

They had stopped using the router there for some reason...maybe it had disconnected and they didn't know how to reconnect it. I don't know but Chuan chuan had a laptop that probably hadn't been online since we left last August. So I re-setup the wireless so we now had three computers surfing happily as I got back to work.

Finally, at around 2pm I found we had electricity again, so moved my work stuff back home to continue working without kids to disturb me. And then we had the rematch from yesterday at 6pm. Splendid lightning struck up again with its accompanying thunder and downpour. It's quite exciting to watch, actually, if you don't see this all the time...but the "tick" that happened soon after was not exciting as the house plunged into twilight and we were without electricity once more.

As I was with Tan and the kids we went out to get some grub again. The rain had subsided somewhat so we trekked the 13 floors down only to find it had changed its mind and it was torrenting down again. To make matters worse I'd forgotten to bring the brolly and I wasn't going to soil my clothes by hiking up to our place again, so we got slightly less soiled by walking along the base of the house to shield us from a little of the rain, and I went out and commandeered a san lun che to take us back to Er Jie's house to eat. Once there I checked back every half an hour until the leccy was back on around 8.30pm. Phew. Tan and the kids stayed with Jiuma at Er Jie's house as they didn't trust that the leccy would stay, but I took a chance and went back to finish my work. Then I was able to go for a quick bbq at 12.45 and be back in bed by 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment