Thursday, August 11, 2011

Teacher Lu's school again

Tan didn't want the kids to go to school today for some reason but I did, so I drove to Er Jie's and got them there a bit later. I'm glad I did as the teacher told me school would be closed tomorrow and the next day for a festival I didn't quite understand. As soon as I got home karma set in as I saw that teacher Lu was calling me. He had tried to call me yesterday but I didn't pick it up so I decided to face my fate.... In fact he wanted me to have my picture taken with another of his English classes. So I said "ok" in order to do my penance and popped around for 11 as agreed.

Once again I had to shake hands with every child, and ask "how do you do?" and "what is your name?". I didn't really mind - it's probably very very rare that they get the chance to put their spoken English into practice with a genuine mother-tonguer, and the beaming smiles made it worth it. They were around 14 years old. There were four rows of desks, the front three occupied with four girls each and the one at the back by three boys, similar to as you might expect in the UK. However, the boys' English was far better than the girls', which is not what you might expect. I put it down to the shyness of the girls compared to the boys who couldn't wait to show off what they'd learned from American films.

Me with some of the kids from teacher Lu's school

Thankfully, the rest of the day panned out with electricity, so no more trips elsewhere to work. At about 4pm I called Lisa P in le Pago to wish her a Happy Birthday, except ma answered to say she was the only one up! Luckily, I got the chance to speak to her and And a bit later...sounds like they were having plenty of fun 5000 miles away too.

No comments:

Post a Comment