Monday, August 08, 2011

Paper aeroplane pleasure

Today was mostly work. Nothing to write home about. Except that at mid-afternoon we had a great storm that washed the town clean and gave the surrounding farmers more joy as their fruits were further fleshed. I managed to capture a streak of lightning as the eye of the storm approached our place. I had nearly managed a siesta when the clouds made their appearance and the rumbling thunder became more crackly and close. So my siesta was buggered but at least I was awake after the storm.

Lightning near our house

In the evening I took a break from work for a few minutes to indulge myself in a childhood pleasure that I enjoy more than an adult probably should. I found our old boarding passes that I had printed out on A4 paper before leaving London. It seems that here we just don't get the same thickness of paper...probably because it's unneccessary, but it doesn't half hinder the making of paper aeroplanes. It was around 7pm and just starting to get dark so I didn't have much time. I also didn't know when Tan or the kids might get back. So I got to work making a simple aeroplane I remembered from my days at St Joseph's Academy nearly 30 years ago. Unfortunately I haven't yet installed the hack that should allow my phone to continuously auto-focus while filming, but I did enjoy the three flights I managed before emails beckoned me back to work. Living on the 14th floor sometimes has its advantages. My first plane was the best, and went straight towards another block of flats, then took a draft from there and turned around before finally skimming the roof of a smaller two storey building and getting sucked down to the bin outside the front door.



During the nighttime I saw the terrible and disturbing scenes of the rioting in London. Those little shits looting with no excuse. I was shocked at what I was seeing and ended up staying awake refreshing the news till 4am. At least most of the London-based family near the trouble zones are away for the time being.

2 comments: