Sunday, August 07, 2011

Kids' house-cleaning and pools

After a decent night's sleep I called Jiuma to see where the kids were, as Waipo is staying in Bangxu for a few days. I think her plan is to sell the house there to help put into a deposit for one here in Pingguo, as most of the family are living here now. Bangxu is in danger of becoming a ghost town, as so many people have now moved here. It's a bit sad, but it's the way things are moving here. Pingguo had that critical mass that meant people gravitated towards it, rather than looking to move to a bigger town or city. Nanning would be the obvious choice, but it's rather crowded and doesn't afford the fresher air and food that we get here in Pingguo. Of course, Pingguo is not as fresh as Bangxu, but in my opinion it is the best of both worlds.

Apparently the kids were at La la jie jie's, the place they spent so much of their time last year, near the centre of town by the big market. I took Xixi to have lunch at 12 as Leilei wanted to stay and play. We went to one of my favourite small haunts for a lunch of fragrant sausage and rice and soup. Xixi loved the soup (I think it was pork) and nearly finished it before we went back. I'd promised Leilei I'd ring our American friend to see if his daughter could come to play. His son answered to say they were out at the moment but we could come around. So I took both the kids and on the way bumped in to my friend, his wife and his youngest daughter whose Chinese name is Su Xiaoli. We walked back to the house with them and had a nice chat while Leilei and Xiaoli played with their new hamster named something like "Supertripod". The shop either didn't know, or didn't want to tell them that he only had three legs, a fact that they only found out a few days after getting him.

The kids were sufficiently entertained that I could eventually leave them to go back and tidy up the house a bit. I came to pick them up at 4pm and we took Xiaoli back with us to play at our house. The kids played rather nicely together, and for some (wonderful) reason decided that they would clean the house. Well, it would have been wonderfuller if they'd not used so much water and spread the dust around, but it was a neat effort even if the end result wasn't.

Kids with American friend washing the house! What have I done right?

We'd been invited to eat by Chen mei, who was in Pingguo for the weekend. So at 5.30 I called Xiaoli's dad and we all went out to meet him and leave her with him. Leilei wanted her to eat with us, but apparently she had other things to do that evening. We were picked up by A Xia's husband in the Camry, and driven the three minutes to Da Xue Cheng where we ate in another rather plush restaurant. Chen mei's younger brother also came. I'd not met him before but for the first time I noticed that Tan was right about people wearing glasses for no reason other than fashion; there weren't even any lenses, and he looked like a younger Gok.

Tan and others were looking at my photo of A Wu's 800k kuai, and saying it was impossible to get that much money in that bag. So I asked him again later that day and this time he said there was 400k kuai. I don't know...if I ask him again it could be 200k, and maybe if I ask him enough times it will disappear...

After taking the kids downstairs to look at the models of the new houses and roads, we finished our meal and A Wu and I took them back to Jiuma. Leaving them to play happily, we went to the new pool place by the guang chang, that used to be a bowling alley but fell into disrepair in the last couple of years. Surprisingly the tables were in good condition and were particularly bouncy. Being rather warm, here they have silky blue gloves that fit your thumb and first two fingers so that the cue slides easily. It's such a simple and effective idea I don't know why we don't have these in the UK. The rules were pretty much like UK pub rules, though A Wu said that you were either 1-7 or 9-15, whereas I pointed out that 1-7 were dots and 9-15 were stripes, rendering it much easier to think in that way. He didn't answer. I won the first two frames and he was frustrated that my strategy was to cover pockets while he just whacked the balls. Having said that I think others might get frustrated with the way I play. Anyway I let him win the next two frames until it was 9.15pm and I reminded him I wanted to watch Man City v Man Utd in the Charity shield at 9.30. I asked how much per hour it was and he answered "12 kuai". So I went to pay and found it was 28 kuai for the hour we'd spent. Fair enough as we'd bought a couple of beers and water but when I asked what the hourly rate was the young lady said "25 kuai". But A Wu had a "VIP" card so it was 18 kuai. Still, I'm not arguing and will hopefully come back soon.

The kids love looking at the model of Da Xue Cheng

Beating A Wu with the help of a three-fingered blue glove to avoid sweat

The Charity Shield was a disaster that we lost 3-2 after having gone up 2-0 somewhat luckily. I hope this is not a portent of the season to come. I called A Wu after the match as agreed, as I was meant to go out and "drink alcohol". Luckily it was already too late, so I went out myself for a little bbq on my own. Well, I went out on my own but soon made new friends before coming back nearer 2am.

No comments:

Post a Comment