Friday, August 05, 2011

Tan's second driving lesson and very dodgy tummy

I woke up a bit later than usual as the kids had slept with Jiuma at Er Jie's house. They used to hate being with Jiuma but I suspect a little present-buying has won them over. It is so nice and refreshing that elder relatives here not only see it as their duty, but actually WANT to look after the young kids. Jiuma was a bit gutted at first that they didn't want to be with her but she sorted that out herself.

As for me I felt dreadful. It wasn't a hangover, just a really dodgy tummy. I'd survived the first four days in Pingguo really well, but since then it's been on and off (the toilet) with mostly myself to blame for eating everything I'm offered. But today was particularly rough, and even Tan took pity and went to pick up the kids to take them to school. When she got back she'd bought me a load of medicine, which I took without first looking up its efficiency on the Internet (I normally trust no medicine here anymore unless I know exactly what it is).

But it was a work day, and so, feeling a bit better at midday, I got to work and didn't stop till 10pm. Except to take Tan to her second driving lesson. I decided to stay to watch how dreadful it might be. Actually she could have done a lot worse, and at least it was a manual. Thankfully they haven't allowed her on the roads yet. On the way back, as it was nearly 6pm I stopped off at the supermarket to get some basics like toilet rolls, but as I walked in I heard a shout of "A Ming!". Ah...a couple of my recently found friends had somehow recognised me and invited me into their hamburger joint. I explained that I needed to do some shopping first but would come back in a few minutes. True to my word I did so, and as I actually was a bit peckish I succumbed to a double hamburger and fries. It wasn't great; there wasn't much meat and there was too much salad dressing, but it did the job and it didn't cause me to jump to the nearest toilet within half an hour. They wouldn't accept payment from a friend so I left saying I'd call soon....

Tan about to start her 2nd driving lesson - quick, run away!


...and trying to avoid the manhole covers...

I needed a haircut again, and had done for a good week, so at around 10 I gave A Wu a bell to say I'd go for a head wash and cut. He needed a cut too so we met up at the same place as last time. I was asked if I wanted a face wash and said that I'd prefer just the head wash, but somehow became acquiesed into having a face wash too... As much as I adore these decadent hours, this time it almost felt painful...even my favourite place, just behind the eyes, felt a little sore under the pressure. Maybe it is possible to have too much of...certain good things.... When it was over I decided not to have my hair cut; I didn't quite trust the young kids with scissors as much as I did with their bare hands on my scalp.

No comments:

Post a Comment