Saturday, August 13, 2011

Birthday at KTV

Happy Birthday wife! Presents and cards are not the done thing here, so instead I booked out a room at the KTV place we went to the other week to celebrate in, er...style. Actually A Wu booked it as I met him for lunch at some place I hadn't been to before where I had relatively meatless meal of Lotus root soup and egg fried rice. We met Boss Hu there too and invited him to eat with us and to the karaoke that night.

We spent a fair amount of the day with Waipo in Er Jie's house as she has recently come back from Bangxu, and we ate there at 5pm as you do on such occasions as "Gui jie" I checked out the translation and according to google it's "hallowe'en". Weird. Maybe that's too much of a literal translation as "gui" means ghost. So it could be to do with a festival of the dead.

I was very embarrassed to read Handy P's comment from a couple of weeks ago when he suggested the wild chicken I had photographed was actually a pheasant. I've been coming here for eight years so I should know what a wild chicken looks like. It turns out I didn't. I don't have And's ornithological skills so wouldn't know a pheasant from a lesser-spotted tree-tailed French pigeon. But "Orni Andy" as he's known turned out to be correct after all. I'd never thought to translate "ye ji" as wild chicken fitted perfectly. Google confirmed that it is actually "pheasant". Now I am worried about the other "ye" animals and plants I've eaten. Is "ye ma" actually a hippopotamus rather than a wild horse? Actually it translates to "mustang" so I must started checking some of the others...

On the way to the karaoke place I stopped off at a lingerie place to get a present for Tan. The assistant told me to get something red on such an occasion, which I did, but had no intention of showing it to her in the company of her friends. We arrived at 9pm and Tan and the kids were already there. I was shocked at the price of the beer and food, but realised that it incorporated the price of the room hire and service. Well various people came and went, and many songs were sung at a high volume. I was taking it easy on the beer, but quaffed a couple when it became my turn to sing my party pieces. This time A Wu filmed them....

View from our KTV balcony during Tan's birthday party

Some of the lovely food on offer at Tan's birthday bash at the KTV

Tan in full flow (lucky it's not a video)

Ladies enjoying themselves at the sing-song

The kids were taken home to sleep at 10.30pm and we continued till gone midnight. There were plenty of nighttime snacks, as is the norm here, such as duck tongues, pig penises, dried squid with wasabi and other delights. I even ate a fair bit of everything and we needed to order more food a couple of times. We finally left at around half midnight after I'd bitten my tongue while shelling out the 1249 kuai for the evening. Well, to entertain in the region of 15-20 people for an evening it's not really that bad.

Ladies in the back seat on the way home from the birthday bash

Back home Tan wasn't too keen on the colour of what I'd bought her, but I was prepared for this and had the receipt for a return tomorrow. When she got to sleep I sneaked out to watch the second half of the Arsenal - Newcastle match. Hooray! Football is back. But I found out that our first game is against Swansea on Monday night...3am here...hmmm...sleep or no sleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment