Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Full last full day in Pingguo with last-minute tea-table purchase

The fact that I was up at 6am was not really that surprising to me now. I think it's my unconscious way of wanting to spend as much time as possible sensing my home from home, my family from family. I wish I could tell my unconscious that I'd appreciate it better with eight hours' sleep but I don't think it would understand. As I was up I spent some time packing, which is a sad, but necessary chore. At least it's not that time-consuming as we can leave whatever we like here now as it's our own place - something that makes a world of difference.

As with most years of late the last few days haven't been a furore of getting things done and cramming what we can into the diminishing hours. I didn't even have any plans for lunch so I called Yang Haiwei again and ended up meeting him in his office. I made an effort to note what his company mined again - apparently it is corundum, which is a very hard material, used to sharpen knives and I imagine various other things. We took his car and drove to around looking for a restaurant. This is normally a very easy thing to do but today was the first day of gui jie. Some people translate this is hallowe'en as it loosely means the time of the dead, but in fact it is more genuinely to do with the deceased in your family, and is therefore a family-oriented thing. For this reason most shops and even restaurants were closed, but we managed to find a Szechuan one not too far from the kids' school, and on the way, literally as I was calling him, we passed A Wu in his car so instead of using the phone I called to him to tell him to come and eat with us.

Having a few cuppas with Haiwei and some friends around the outside
Haiwei ordered some food from the moustachio'd boss, who I gathered was probably from Szechuan. When it arrived it was one of the best lunches I have ever had here. The pork and beef dishes were pretty hot, and the meat sliced finely to increase the surface area to volume ratio, the way I like it. Haiwei and I spent another good half an hour discussing business before A Wu arrived. Apparently he has a place in Guangzhuo, and drives there every six weeks or so to meet with business partners. Despite the amount of time he seems to have for playing table tennis and drinking beer, he does take business very seriously. I was enjoying the conversation, and the glimpse it gave me into real Pingguo business, until A Wu came and the conversation switched to business in Pingguonese and I was grasping to get 20% of the meaning. Anyway, I had a bloody good lunch.

I wanted to have a siesta but we went back to Haiwei's office for some reviving tea, during the drinking of which I got a call from Tan asking me to bring her some money as she was having her hair done at Lao Ma's. Considering Lao Ma used to be one of her best friends, and at whose house we spent the first nights of our Pingguo life back in 2003, and indeed I proposed to Tan there, I was happy that Tan was spending some time and money at her salon again. So I used the excuse to stop imbibing tea and went to say hello and goodbye to Lao Ma.

Tan had asked me to get a tea table. Amazing, as this was what I wanted too and we hardly ever want the same thing. I went to the place I'd been last night and took a couple of photos of what I wanted to buy and made the decision to show Tan these photos. Oh no of course that wasn't what she wanted! She was after some boring oblong thing made from a mould and I wanted a hand-carved unique piece of beauty. I wasn't in a mind to argue, and as by now we were in A Xia's clothes shop I showed the women what I wanted to buy and they were quite supportive, so much so that Tan begrudgingly relented.

The middle one that looks like an evil bottom-biting seahorse was the one that caught my eye
I went back to the tea table shop, where I'd bought "running dog" three years previously, and took my tape measure. I had to make sure it would fit in my suitcase and it was very, very close. I measured so many angles until I was reasonably sure that the only way to really know was to put the bloody thing in. As I knew the boss doesn't give discounts I said I'd pay the 580 kuai for what I wanted. We immediately sat down to drink tea with one of his colleagues, and I took the opportunity to take a couple of photos. When I actually handed over the money he gave me 30 kuai back and I wondered if he'd have done so if I'd actually asked for a discount. I was really happy with my purchase, and he wrapped it up carefully for me as I explained it would have a long ride to the UK. I was even happier when I got home and put it in the suitcase to find it fitted just about - another inch in either direction and it wouldn't have.

I nabbed and tamed my naughty seahorse
Having a post-purchase cuppa with the tea table boss
But it weighed a fair amount, 8kg according to the boss, but probably 10 in reality. That meant I had to move around some things to the suitcase that Tan had packed (hers we'd bought for £100 quid before we left and she'd only packed 14kg into). Well you need to distribute things darling, so I put a few heavier things into her suitcase and padded some lighter clothes around mine to make it up to 20kg. Although the flight from Guangzhou to London allows 23kg per person the internal flight only allows 20kg. I remember a few years ago we were allowed to bring on a bit more in the internal flight as long as we provided evidence that we were leaving the country with a bigger allowance. Maybe that was rubbish but I bet it would still work now.

While sorting out my tea table top I got a call from A Wu inviting me out to a last karaoke evening. How could I refuse? He picked me up at 10ish and we arrived to find a few people there including a rather worse for wear Yang Haiwei. It wasn't quite such fun as usual, as usually I'm not leaving the next day, but a few beers made it better. I called Tan, more out of respect than thinking she'd actually want to come, but said where we were, and that Haiwei was a rather pissed. So I was surprised when she and A Ni turned up half an hour later. We spent till 1am singing and being silly for probably the last time this year, while the kids had their last night at their maternal grandmother's house.

Get your coat woman, you've pulled! (Must be the nice new hair do)

Tan's best friends at the KTV - will be missed again by us both
When we got home we didn't have much more packing to do, though Tan went into a slight last-day mode. I said I had to get a bite to eat, but used this as an excuse to pay a final visit to Uncle Zhang's place near the guangchang. Although it was getting on for 2am he and his sons were there, and as an added bonus, his wife, who I hadn't seen for a couple of years, was there too. We had an enjoyable time around the table having last beers and cai ma until Tan called me to ask why I was out so long. She wouldn't have understood properly and it wasn't worth arguing, and it was getting on for 3am so I said my goodbyes and went home, thinking I'd done a reasonable job of making the most of this year's last evening in Pingguo. No problems getting to sleep tonight.

Uncle Zhang and his wife, who I've known since I used to get breakfast from them in 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment