Sunday, August 26, 2012

Long lie-in and possibly last meal

Had a long long lie-in till gone 2pm and then wallowed in bed as Tan was out with the kids. Almost all our holidays since 2003 have been taken up in Pingguo, and so much of that time has been spent in a whirlwind of people and experiences that doing nothing has seemed like an extraordinary and profligate waste. But people probably do need such time where we're neither asleep nor particularly active. I had no guilt in lying about till nearly 5pm.

I couldn't stay horizontal for much longer though as the Police Finance Officer man had invited us for another plush meal at 6pm. That meant I got up and showered (and had a tiny gin and lemonade) and went to the famous "Li Jia He Xian" for probably the final time this year.

This time I dare say we had the largest private room in the house. Not only was there a huge revolving table for around 20 people, there was a separate table for the kids and a few mums with them. We felt a little guilty that we had not taken Leilei and Xixi for this event.

The lovely ladies at our meal

There were about four blokes and three women I didn't know, which meant it was quite easy to get to know them by walking up to them with a glass of beer and gan bei'ing with them. Tan had asked me to bring her jogging trousers and top with me as she was planning to go dancing with A Ni after the meal. It took not 10 minutes before I realised that the fact I'd forgotten to bring them (though, annoyingly I'd found and packed them), would have no bearing on her dance motives for tonight as after a couple of beers she was obviously not going to any classes. It was my mistake to make her aware of the fact that I'd not brought her clothes with me - if only I'd kept my mouth shut she'd have been none the wiser.

Round and round a lovely meal

The Police Finance Officer did not drink more than a couple of glasses, then, an hour later, had to leave, so I said goodbye, but with the full intention of meeting up with him next year at least. We stayed on a lot, lot, longer to enjoy the abundance of smashing food.

No comments:

Post a Comment