Saturday, August 25, 2012

Leilei fever and possible last meal

A Wu woke us with a phone call at 9am to ask what our number was. He meant what floor and house number combination he needed to dial in order for our entryphone to ring. It's still quite hard describing the number on the dial pad that comes after 3 and before 5 - it's "510" but you can't say five hundred and ten for some reason. Sometimes I think that unlucky numbers, such as 4 and 14 are self-fulfilling prophecies of doom - if we just had a simple "4" on the dial pad, and if our house number was "14-01" instead of "15A-01" it would be a lot more straightforward to get people and things to our house.

Unfortunately, Leilei, who had been brought back by A Wu, was not looking good and indeed had a fever. We had had some Calpol but given it to a friend of A Xia whose baby also had a fever and the parents didn't want to use Chinese medicine (interesting - I'd like to know whether they meant traditional medicine or Chinese "Western" medicine). But it seemed like we had reacquired the bottle as well as a few sachets of, well, Chinese medicine. I always feel a little awkward giving Chinese medicine to my kids, not because I don't understand the ingredients so much as asking what the ingredients are - it always sounds like you are challenging the person who has given you the medicine. And I suppose it really is. Well, I'm sure enough Chinese kids have had the same kiddy medicine and not got worse so I ended up giving some to Leilei too. He then slept for almost the remainder of the daylight hours, waking only when I needed to give him another dose.

Tan had been out most of the day, but had called to say Lao Pan had invited us to go to eat and I was rather looking forward to it as we hadn't been for a big friendly meal for some time. So at around 5pm I grabbed a shower, then got a slightly better and cooler Leilei ready, then got on the dian dong che to pick up Xixi from Waipo's as Tan was already at the restaurant drinking tea. I think the battery is on its last legs as I'd fully charged it the previous day and it was already showing half full, but it got us there. Within half an hour the usual crowd turned up and we tucked into a feast - all the more so for me as it was my first meal of the day.

Lao Pan's husband, Lao Lin was the first to order the beer, within 10 minutes of starting to eat. This was about five minutes earlier than usual. They don't stand on ceremony here regarding beer - two crates, 48 cans, were ordered. It helps that you aren't charged for what you don't consume. The one person who wasn't happy was A Dong, who was on medicine so couldn't partake - he cut a particularly sullen figure around the table and left significantly earlier than everyone else.

The meal Lao Pan invited us to

Even all the girls joined in the gan bei'ing, and although no mention was made, it was possible that we were aware that this could be the last time the group of us would be together for a long time. Still, no time to be wistful, we ate, drank, and were very happy and the kids were pretty good as well until Chuan Chuan came a bit later to pick up Leilei and Xixi to go to Yi Xiao. The Police finance bloke and his wife were there too, the ones whose house we'd visited a few weeks ago where he brews his own booze. He invited us to eat the next day at Li Jia He Xian. I hope it will be as good food - this meal had it all, with laohu cai (tiger salad) and liang dan pi dan among other gorgeousness - so much so that only one person (Xili's husband, who arrived halfway through the meal) ate any rice.

Me beating A Wu at cai ma

A third crate had been ordered due to the cai mai'ing that Lao Lin, A Wu and I were engaged in. For once I was having a good roll and winning more than I was losing - probably because I was soberer. 60 cans in total, consumed by around 15 adults, doesn't seem excessive. But when you take into account 50% were ladies, two were teetotal and one on medicine it makes it nearer nine of us. When we finally finished I decided to go for a head wash, although it actually felt like the head wash was calling me. I told A Wu and he too came along. We did have to wait 10 minutes or so but it was worth it. As it could be my last head wash this year (at least in the massage sense) I went for the 35 kuai shampoo, and also went for a face wash. A Wu only had his head done and left after around 45 minutes, but I think I had a good half an hour face washing before the actual massage so was lying down for 90 minutes - do-decadent-hedron!

Back at home I was alone so was able to catch up on the footy as Tan was out getting a foot wash (apparently because she has a cold), and both the kids were at Waipo's again. Tan was back at getting on to midnight complaining of a poorly tummy due to the laohu cai.

No comments:

Post a Comment