Monday, October 10, 2005

Waipo's first time with Leilei

Today we went to Bangxu to see Waipo. This was a huge deal as it was her first time to see and hold Leilei, and I can’t imagine what it must be like for a grandparent so far apart from their youngest grandchild.

I didn't particularly like the journey; I’d made the 90 minute trip before, in a minibus, and I remembered meeting Tan’s mum for the first time (at least the neighbour, thinking it was her). But this time with a child and no seatbelt on the dangerous windy roads was was even less comfortable.

When we arrived, Waipo grabbed Leilei before we’d even had the chance to say “Ni hao”, and didn't want to let go. Had she miraculously managed to lactate after 35 years or so I dare say Leilei wouldn't have left her side for the foreseeable future, not that much is foreseeable here. As Waipo is into her 70's she may not have been lactating but the mental equivalent was certainly there. Leilei was whipped away in a manner I sort of liked and sort of didn't. But I stuck with the culture and let Waipo take him around and felt very proud. Every baby boy should have a Waipo.


Er Jie with Leilei at Waipo's house in Bangxu. Being treated no differently as if he and I were 100% Chinese

For the first time in ages, well in the nearly eight months of his life, we let Leilei be taken off by Waipo, and we didn't see him for about 45 minutes. I actually had to go looking for him but it wasn't too hard - I just had to find a gang of old women cooing together at the handsome chappie. Throughout the rest of the day we had the rest of the village come round to see this little half-blood. Tan’s second sister, Er Jie, also made a visit. After a long day Tan, Leilei, and I retired to the room we’d stayed in 20 months previously.

Waipo was so proud to hold her grandson. It made me feel so proud too as he means so much to us both.

Well the last couple of days have seen me usurped as the most talked about person in Pingguo by Leilei. He seems to be the talk of the town and I should be jealous and I am really. But in a way it's nice to be a more "normal" resident of this lovely town.

No comments:

Post a Comment