Friday, October 14, 2005

Day after wedding and trip to Guilin

As per our English wedding, I'd managed to remain relatively sober during the day and I think Tan appreciated that. I also appreciated the fact that Waipo had taken charge of Leilei yesterday, allowing us to have a more relaxed meal and celebration.

In the morning I managed to sneak out, not really sneakily, but just on my own to have a look around the lovely market town of Bangxu, that I'd first visited nearly two years ago. The only thing that seemed to have changed was that there weren't so many kids following me now.

Ducklings at Bangxu market
Later, when I got back, it appeared to be a good time to take a couple of family pictures as we don't know when the next opportunity will arrive. It's difficult to know how they feel about it here - obviously the wedding meal was a big deal for them, but how much will they miss Tan and Leilei over the next few months/years?

Leilei and Waipo (actually taken on the day of the wedding but so what?)

Ling Ming (Tan's eldest sister's son), A Heng (Tan's second sister's son), me, Chuan Chuan (Tan's second sister's daughter) and Tan

And then we went to Guilin. I suppose it had been planned and I had been told but it must have escaped me. At about 3.15pm Uncle Lu's mian bao che (bread car, as per the shape but effectively a smallish Spacecruiser) turned up. I said goodbye to my eight month old son and explained that we'd be back soon. I think he understood. He's taken quite well to being with family here but I'm not totally happy with leaving him for what will be 4-5 days, but I'm thinking he couldn't be in better hands.

This was our mian bao che, modelled by Nicolas
Nicolas, Lao Ma, Tan, A Ni and A Wu got in with us and we proceeded to drive in the opposite direction from Guilin - to Nanning - in order to get the motorway back north there. Despite lack of sleep and huge fatigue, both Nicolas and I shared that feeling that by somehow keeping awake and keeping your eyes on the road you would give greater visibility to the driver. It was scary at some times and I offered to drive and even Nicolas backed me for that..."pleez let 'im drive!!".

On the way we stopped off to see A Wu's son, A Da at his boarding school. It seems a little early, at 4 years old, to be there but who am I to judge? Actually I'm a very good judge, as all humans are, and I kept my opinions to myself as I knew we were inflicting Leilei to a sort of short-term boarding school with Waipo. We said goodbye to A Da, and on the way back to the car park I noticed some kids in their early teens playing basketball. Of course as a 6'1" white bloke I am considered NBA quality here so they bade me play with them. I think there might have been disappointed had I not had a bit of a laugh with them and got on with the bloke with a Man City top. Pleasant times....

All aboard the pleasure cruise to Nanning
To cut a long drive short the five hour journey seemed much more except for the non-English who managed to sleep most of the way. When we arrived at Guilin the hotel hadn't been booked appropriately and it looked like Tan and I might have to share with A Wu and A Ni but maybe because I was tired I put my foot down and said that even if it cost more I was not going to share the room with my wife (not least because it would be the first without a baby for eight months.

We called Waipo and had a semi-conversation with Leilei, who, despite moaning a bit, seemed glad to hear from us. The first of many. Despite slight pangs of guilt we slept very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment