Saturday, October 22, 2005

Hydro-Electricity and Bumper Cars

Today A Wu, Jiefu, and some friends took me on a trip a few minutes outside Pingguo to see one of the main power stations, powered by water coming in from a dam. Apparently it powers a considerable percentage of Pingguo but I'm not sure what exactly that percentage is. On the way we had what I consider now to be a fairly typical experience of being stopped by people fixing the road. By people I mean women with shovels shovelling dirt around in an attempt to smooth out potholes or something similar I guess. We sat in the van for a couple of minutes before I realised no-one had any intention of doing anything other than waiting, so I decided to get out and help them. This spurred a couple of the blokes to get out and help to, not to mention a couple of photo-opportunities...

Mucking in to fix the road


Anyway, it was an interesting excursion, and I met the bloke looking after the station after we had woken him up. It does seem like the easiest job in the world, sitting in a reclining chair, watching over machines that are doing their stuff.

Me, A Wu, Uncle Lu, two mates, and Jiefu at the hydro-electric centre in Pingguo


The bloke who was looking after the machines (sorry to wake you)

Maybe it wasn't in keeping with the nature of the visit but I noticed some rather pretty flowers on the side of the road...

A rather pretty flower

Later, back in Pingguo itself we went to the guangchang to look at the fountains before they would be used. Jiefu, who I gather knows some government officials, took me underground to the control area of the fountains. I would have loved to play about with the jets of water and soak my friends above but it looked rather military and I dared not touch a thing.

At the fountain control centre with Jiefu


Totamly un-posed pick with a tiny A Wu

Back upstairs the men were getting restless and there was only one thing for it: bumper cars! We talked the owner into letting us have the complete area for a few minutes and enjoyed proper bumping (the likes of which are no longer allowed in the UK) for a good 10 minutes while darkness dropped around us like a shroud from Naples.

Uncle Yellow...it was pretty good fun

As it was dark now we went to the fountains to wait for the display. A number of school kids saw me and asked to take my photo with them. Weirdly, they also insisted that I take pics of them with me with my own camera. Oh well who knows maybe some day in the future one of them will recognise themselves here...


Some nice schoolkids at the guangchang

Me with Uncle Yellow and his woman Xiao Chong


Later in the evening we went to drink tea. This time it actually meant "drink tea" and I was very happy with the infusion!

The infusion pleased me

No comments:

Post a Comment