Friday, July 20, 2018

15 years later for me at least...

We’d made the right decision to get a taxi all the way to Gatwick, despite Awl’s good idea of getting one to Croydon East then getting a train. That will be my plan next time I need to go alone though. Annoyingly we just got to the baggage drop-off queue in the middle of a group of secondary school kids, which meant we were delayed nearly an hour as even though we got to the end of the queue before half of them they were allowed to check in together. I couldn’t be too annoyed though, although I was when the gate in front of us, supposedly for first class only but had allowed loads of kids through, suddenly didn’t want us despite a dearth of first class passengers. I remonstrated with the woman a little and she didn’t seem impressed, but after her superior came over she reluctantly allowed us to check in there. Blimey it wasn’t a big deal. They could have saved time by allowing us to check in online but this is a new route to Chengdu so I gave them the benefit of the doubt.

Nearing the end of a slightly annoying queue

At least we had a couple of hours to spare, and Tan was already in China so we didn’t have the stress of a travelling woman. The kids had queued ok as they were promised the lounge and it didn’t disappoint as there were plenty of cake-like delicacies there. I satisfied myself with some soup and a bar service G&T. This has changed since the last time I was here; I suppose too many people had been pouring themselves quadruples in a sort of “last orders” mentality when their flights were at “Go to gate” status. But at least the kids got fed, Xixi stating that “airplane food is horrid”. I said “what?” and she just said she didn’t like it, but she knew what I meant...so she slyly said “aeroplane food is horrid”. I honestly don’t know if the kids’ Americanisations are from the media they consume or simply to rile me

Yay! We're in the lounge...

No comments:

Post a Comment