Wednesday, July 25, 2018

Simon and Garfunkel at Lao Tong Fried Chicken place

Somehow got up at 10.45am after six hours’ sleep. The kids were up too. It wasn’t raining for a change so soon after breakfast I took them out for lunch at the jiao zi place. Then we drove to yi xiao to get more fake Lego before I dropped them off at A Xia’s shop as Tan had requested. I got home but 45 minutes later got a call to pick them up as Tan was going to her dance class. When I asked yesterday when her dance class was she said Monday and Tuesday 8pm-9.30pm. What she didn’t mention was that on Wednesday and Thursday she had classes from 3pm-4.30pm…. I won’t even try to get an explanation…. As I’d left the dian dong che charging I prepared to walk down by spraying some suntan lotion on myself for almost the first time in Pingguo, thinking the sun would make up for its lack of effort yesterday. However, after a couple of minutes the clouds took over again and I realised it was a bit of a waste.

Xixi in the foreground and Leilei in the background enjoying some jiao zi for lunch

It took a bit of an argument but I persuaded the kids not to take a san lun che for the three minute journey home, but walk instead. It nearly didn’t work out as it started to rain again, but we were near a supermarket and I needed a toothbrush so we went in and came out with a bit more than just a toothbrush; one thing I’ve still not worked out is the difference between shampoo, conditioner, washing liquid, and fabric conditioner, and I’m ashamed to admit I go by the brands that I recognise. So this time it was Dove shampoo (unless they do other stuff).

I’d promised the kids lasers as one does and re-justified not taking the san lun che by stopping off at the shenme dou you shop by our house where they were duly bought, along with a swimming costume for Xixi. I was very tempted to get a Chinese globe for 99 kuai but realised it wouldn’t fit in my suitcase.

Rain was promised for the afternoon and you could see it coming. That meant no going out for a while, so Tan ordered some takeaway duck which arrived 20 mins later and everyone ate decent portions. It’s the first time in years we’ve actually sat as four people around the dining table and actually dined.

After dinner Tan took the kids to see Waipo and I stayed at home as I remembered Li Kun said we were going to the guitar bar again at 8pm, but I wondered if that was really true. 8pm came around and he hadn’t contacted me so I thought I was let off the hook and grabbed a shower after a miserly 20 press-ups. But at 8.20 he messaged me to say he was coming to pick me up so that was that. I had a little practice of The Boxer as I had an inkling I might be asked to play later.

Indeed it was the same bar as late last night, and Li Kun’s wife and daughter and a friend were there. They offered me the stage and I told them to bugger off and “maybe later” and did a gan bei, realising that 2.8% was not going to offer much Dutch courage in half an hour or so. Li Kun’s mate then got up and tuned the guitar on the stage, before performing a pretty rendition of some Chinese ballad. I was offered the stage again but just pointed to my beer glass. So Li Kun got up and drummed his way through four songs very well. But I still hadn’t drummed up enough courage, so the original bloke got back up and did another Chinese ballad.

Li Kun's wife and charming daughter, Ava (as I named her a few years ago)

Ok, why should I need to have a bellyful of beer for knocking out a couple of tunes to an audience of no more than 15, half of whom were playing cai ma in the back table? I got up and grabbed the guitar gently. I noticed that without the capo it was slightly out of tune so spent a few seconds getting it up to scratch. I hadn’t got a plan, only I wanted to finish with Sound of Silence, as Paul Simon had done just the other week in his farewell concert in Hyde Park I had the great pleasure of attending. So I started with The Boxer...it’s quite well liked internationally I think due to the Lie la lie chorus.








Then I realised I was really getting into it...despite a bit of a shaky left knee, I was starting to enjoy being the focal point for most in the room and having four people filming me at the same time. I banged out my favourite Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard, followed by Mrs Robinson, before, a bit emotionally, finishing with Sound of Silence, and got a nice round of applause. The beer tasted much better afterwards than beforehand.



I was home at a relatively early 1am and it didn’t take long to get to sleep after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment