Saturday, July 28, 2018

Sweaty backs and off to Nanning

Yang Haiwei had told me there was a ping pong competition this morning and indeed it was true. I turned up at 10am as had been asked and was clearly one of the first. As I arrived there was a carload of people looking foreign in the sense that they didn’t know where to park. I was about to shout to them that they could park anywhere they wanted when Haiwei came and shouted the same thing before me. They were the team from another town an hour or so outside Pingguo.

As not all had turned up I managed to get quite a bit of practice in with locals and non-locals. To my shame I didn’t recognise which were which and knew that for the locals I’d probably played them before and should really have known them. So I kept any conversation focused on the game itself and not idle chit-chat, until one of them let it slip they were home or away. Although I’d brought a bottle of water with me that was gone within minutes, and within just a few minutes more I was gasping in the 10:30am heat. I found a water dispenser only to discover it had been a long time since it had dispensed any liquid. Then I asked someone, who pointed to this same water dispenser, and I nearly had a go at him. Then someone else motioned towards a cardboard box. Or maybe he motioned toward it. A bit like while or whilst, but whereas I am a “towardser” rather than a “towarder”, I am a “whiler” rather than a “whilster”. I suppose it doesn’t matter but I’d like to be consistent.

But what was within that box was loverly...bottles and bottles of crisp cold water, and I cherished the few seconds of relief one gave me, despite the head pains from drinking too fast. I grabbed another and was up for a bit more practice.

As I was enjoying myself I decided to stay another night in Pingguo rather than go to Nanning tonight for the plane tomorrow. But at 3.51pm I checked online to find there was no early train so thought bugger I’d better get one tonight after all. I had the app Ctrip on my phone so it was easy to book a hotel in Nanning, but the train tickets, although as easy, wanted an extra 30 kuai on top of 45 for ticket as a booking fee and I said “no!”.

For the £3.50 or so it was I should have said “yes”, as I had to call Tan to find where I could buy train tickets. She exploded into a rage that translated as “why are you buying stuff last minute you can’t buy tickets at this time are you stupid?” But I’d checked there were plenty of spaces on Ctrip, not to mention plenty of trains these days - I’d planned to get the 8.38pm but there was another train seven minutes later if necessary. That didn’t seem to go down too well. It was impossible, apparently, and that was that. Ok it was my fault for asking her as she’d probably not bought tickets in the last few years (despite having told me there was a place opposite our house that sold them). I made my excuses at the ping pong competition, and rode out under the heavy skies to find the ticket shop. I got to the parade of shops just as the heavens let loose and I jumped to the shelter of the first shop I came to. It was a pet shop. Not the most likely to sell train tickets, so I took a chance and went next door to a...well an establishment of some kind, and it didn’t sell animals. I walked in and asked if I could buy a ticket to Nanning, and instead of looking at me like I was a wally, the woman just said I should go two doors down. I duly did and found a place with a big freezer in the front selling lollies, and a cash desk surrounded by a metal cage. I had no idea where I was but asked if I could buy a ticket to Nanning and they said of course and a show of my passport later I had the 45 kuai ticket in my hands. Yes, I’d saved 30 kuai, at the cost of an extra journey, an angry woman, and now getting completely soaked on the 30 second journey home…. Will I learn from this? No.

At least Tan had told me we were to meet with her friends and some of their husbands at 5.30pm at some restaurant not far from ours. So I did the soaking journey home as it was already 5pm and I hadn’t packed. Packing took no time, but I needed some provisions for the route, and luckily the rain had subsided so I rode to the local chau shi and got some stuff and liquid refreshment. By the time I was home the sun was back out and it was pretty blooming moist outside in more ways than one. I reckoned the restaurant was a 15 minute walk away and could not justify taking a san lun che such a short distance, so walked with my backpack and large suitcase. A block later I’d already regretted the decision, as my back was already soaking. It would have cost me all of 5 kuai to take a san lun che. Will I learn from this? Actually I’m thinking I bloody well will now.

The new (at least for me) underground shopping mall where you can escape the weather, but also the charm, of Pingguo

It was good to catch up with a load of Tan’s friends after a year, and some of the dads who seemed to come and go. I commented on how the kids were getting bigger and realised I was sounding like a grandparent. It got to 7.30pm and Lao Pan said she’d take me to the station, which although I was grateful for, I wanted to put off for half an hour as the train wasn’t till 8.38pm. But everyone seemed to agree that you couldn’t take a chance as there would be queues etc. So after saying my goodbyes to the kids and friends I got into Lao Pan’s car and five minutes later was being let off at the station. I did appreciate it really.

Although the journey was only 45 minutes, I thought it would be reasonable to get a beer for it, so went to the new shop just outside the station. But to my dismay although there were fairly expensive fruit juices there was nothing in the way of beer. I even asked at the till and the lady confirmed that. I also had the wherewithal to ask if I could get a beer inside the station and she replied in a similar negative. Rather than asking why, I walked out knowing that there was nearly an hour before my train and not a single person in the security queue to get in the station.

So I walked down past the poor san lun che drivers. Poor because now Pingguo, among (or amongst) all other places in China, is now covered by Didi Che, a sort of Uber that is incredibly convenient and paid for via WeChat. Almost everyone I know uses it now, and has the advantages of air-con and proper cover when it’s raining. Damn I’ll really miss san lun ches when they eventually go. I walked past them as I was looking for a “normal” shop to get a beer from, but there was none. So I ended up at a restaurant and asked for one there. They only had Snowflake but at 8 kuai I wasn’t going to argue, and with 45 minutes till my train I wasn’t going to bring it with me. The bloke brought me a chair and I sat watching not a lot really...just some old bloke that ended up being the boss’s dad, and had a short conversation with him. But it whiled away the time until I decided to get into the station. Security should have been a breeze but they spotted something in my suitcase. I was worried it was the glass bottle but they said no it was something else. We kept digging in and didn’t find anything so they gave me a nice comment about my Chinese and I was on my way. I did make use of the internal shop to get the least sugary drink I could find to mix with the stuff that was in the bottle in my suitcase.

As I was waiting for the train I saw to my dismay that it had been delayed by 12 minutes. Then I heard some English words and a young bloke standing next to me was asking me something. It turned out he was working in exports and I suppose just wanted an opportunity to speak some English. We managed a reasonable conversation and I made sure not to language-bully him, just occasionally changing to Chinese when it was obviously difficult. We left with a shaken hand rather than exchanging WeChat ids for a change.

At Nanning the underground seems to be working now, but how I got overground to the hotel 40 yards away I couldn’t fathom. I ended up walking a good 200 yards to the left and the same back after finding somewhere to cross the bloody road. I wouldn’t have minded but by now my dry shirt was once again sweat-ridden. Sadly, the highlight of the day was the conversation with the hotel receptionist (a bloke), who spoke to me from the start in Mandarin and I really appreciated it. As it wasn’t too late I went for a walk to Zhong Shan Lu but wasn’t in the mood to force myself to find someone to eat with there, so headed back and found a small pavement bbq with three ladies with a baby eating there. I was quite impressed that the mother of the child was openly breastfeeding, though I turned away as soon as I saw she was, and realised I may look like something of a pervert having chosen to sit opposite them. But I was stuck waiting for my bbq so got my phone out and focused on that. It was a good bbq but disrupted by a huge spider clambering past me on the wall. As there were ladies present I contained myself as much as I could and didn’t make much of a noise. But I stuffed the last of my bbq and paid up quickly to make it back to four walls and a ceiling.

There were loads of yellow and orange bikes (I mean yellow bikes and orange bikes, not multi-coloured) strewn about littering the pavement...apparently some bike-sharing thing but they don't seem to be looked after at all

For some reason I didn’t sleep till 3 bloody am.

No comments:

Post a Comment