Saturday, July 21, 2018

Going via Chengdu for a change

The new route to Chengdu was fine, despite, or because, I was behind the kids for the journey. Things went suspiciously well despite having to pick up luggage and re-check-in. I mentioned to the bloke we had two bottles of duty-free in our hand luggage and he said that was fine. Until we went to security. I mentioned to the lady that one of our bags had duty-free booze in it and she said not to take it out. Then after it was scanned they told me there were bottles in it (duh) but also that we’d have to check it in. I told them that it was sealed and that we never have to do this but they said the rules have changed. Well at least it felt like we were back in China. As everything else had already gone past security I decided to leave the kids on their phones with the rest of the carry-ons beyond security. Very annoyingly the free airport wifi didn’t work as you needed to receive an SMS with a code but none of us got a code. So I said I may be some time and went back downstairs to check in the carry-on bag that contained the bottles wondering what I’d have checked in had I not had a bag capable of carrying them. In fact that could have been a likely scenario as our only other bag was my laptop one. I can’t imagine them putting a baggage label around a plastic duty-free bag. Note for next time: always bring a sturdy carry-on bag with enough space for bottles.

Although we’d arrived nearly an hour late there was still time to go to the lounge at Chengdu. At least we thought so. Gate 170 ended up being travelator upon travelator along the sprawling mass that is Chengdu airport. It was quite modern and nice but I couldn’t help wondering if there was not a better way than simply walking in a straight line for what must have been over a mile. In fact I checked on Google Maps and it does appear to have been around 1300m, which after diversions for toilet breaks etc. was pretty much bang on a mile.

It was pretty much a mile

As Tan wasn’t with us and I could only get one “guest” in for free, I considered not visiting the lounge as we’d only be just over an hour. But the kids really wanted to even though there was little inside this, one of the numerous “First Class” lounges that were the size of a large living room and the only hot food they had was packs of instant noodles you had to put water on yourself. Still, Xixi had a whole pack, and they both munched their way through mini Oreos. Without much hope I asked the lady at the desk if there was any way around the wifi problem. She made a phone call, scribbled something down on a piece of paper, and handed it to me. I guessed it was the code that would have been sent to my phone, so asked if it would work for more than one device, and she answered in the affirmative. I thanked her profusely and went to our seats to try it out. The code was a simple “594” and of course it didn’t work. We all tried to no avail so I decided to put in Tan’s number and get the SMS sent to her and then turn on roaming data for her to send to me. As soon as I turned on data I got loads of messages asking where we were and if we were delayed. I could have asked why she didn’t look that up online but I didn’t, and messaged back to say we were fine and on time which is what she needed to hear. Then, within two minutes, I received a text telling me I’d reached 80% of my data for the month. Yikes. I turned off roaming data and went back to the woman at the desk who looked at me, then the paper, then proceeded to turn it upside-down to reveal the code “hb6”. I didn’t know whether to feel sheepish or annoyed it wasn’t clear, but laughed instead and was glad I hadn’t been in any way angry or accusative that the code wasn’t working before. We all got happily online afterwards and I’ll make a note of the code and the fact that we should not be too judgemental lest we be the ones at fault.

Surely it was 594??

At least it was Coca Cola Zero...

It was a pity there was nothing in the way of beer in the lounge, but I was too tired to worry after dealing with worrying about turbulence. Luckily this year the Chinese regulations appear to be less strict with the use of electronic devices in their skies so Leilei could 3DS while Xixi slept. Last year we couldn’t even charge such a device with a portable battery charger, let alone turn it on. This year airplane mode was actually acceptable. It makes total sense for international flights - what business person would choose a Chinese carrier for £100 cheaper if they couldn’t open their laptop for 12 hours? Hey, when I go to Canada in Air Canada I can even get wifi for the whole trip.

I did appreciate the western style toilet but only realised about the cover after I'd used it...

I managed a modicum of wakeful nodding off but never completely got there and was glad the flight was under two hours until we arrived in Nanning. Thankfully, after an eventless getting of luggage (including the duty-free) we were in two cars a few minutes later; Tan and the kids with Chuan Chuan in one, and A Heng, me, and the luggage in a Buick SUV. We stopped off for a “toilet break”, which was really a fag break, and as we’d been given bbq to eat in the vehicles I found a large can of Snowflake 2.5% in the shop and tried to pay for it but A Heng insisted. It was the perfect accompaniment to the bbq without any tipsiness. Despite the stop, A Heng said we’d be 20 minutes ahead of the ladies as we were going at a decent speed. Although we were 78km from home he said we’d be there in 30 mins whereas Google was saying 50, but I knew better than to comment on this. As soon as we’d paid the toll (40 kuai, the same as when it opened 12 years ago) we pulled over to wait for the girls. As I went for a wander I was told to get back in the car; apparently they’d already arrived at home and A Heng thought it was incredulous.

There was no going out for bbq at this late hour this year, so showers and straight to bed were on the cards. But I found a couple of cans of Snowflake beer I’d won last year and thoughtfully put in the fridge. Thankfully Tan hadn’t removed them so I had a couple of almost alcohol-free beers before setting up the phones and laptops with connectivity and hitting the sack at 3am.

No comments:

Post a Comment