Saturday, January 13, 2024

Back to Haiwei and Uncle Yellow

The landing was as smooth as a peach's bottom and by 7.30am we were out of the plane and waiting for the door to open to domestic departures. This happened eventually after 8am and during some inexplicable waiting a woman came to give landing cards to those who needed them. I'd blooming well asked in the flight for such a landing card but they didn't have any, so now I was given one minutes before I was due to do immigration. I managed to fill most of it in before it was my turn and the bloke predictably told me I needed to fill in my address and signature, and gave me a pen and told me to come back when it was ready. Well it appears I was by no means the only person who had to do this. But as it was 90% done I filled in my (optional) Chinese name, but this time due to not wanting to wait too much longer I filled in my address in pinyin to my shame, and only gave Chuan Chuan's phone number rather than address. But it worked. And I was technically back in China for the first time in...well just under six weeks.


Of course my phone with its Chinese SIM wasn't working properly so I couldn't receive an SMS to receive the wifi code, despite asking the help of a local bloke. But I hit on the idea of first turning off mobile data, then putting in my English SIM, receiving an SMS code which finally gave me working wifi before SIM-swapping again. Of course I'd run out of credit, but thanks to the wifi I was able to add 50 kuai and turn on mobile data and not be tethered to airport wifi. I'm sure there should be a way of adding credit when it's run out, but even the local bloke wasn't able to help me so possibly not.


At least customs was a doddle with only my carry-ons, and I hydrated myself with the water bottle I'd thoughtfully asked the FA to fill before we landed. I was pretty chill as I'd taken a tram two hours before landing, and it lasted till I got to the Shanghai lounge #35. So, a decent breakfast accompanied with two decent coffees as I know it's the last time I'll avail myself of such western culinary delights for five weeks or so. And at 10am, for the second time in as many days, I availed myself of an alcoholic drink. Well I managed maybe four glasses of the rouge and tried to justify it but in Gatwick it was at least 6pm in China. Here it was 10am in China and 2am in the UK. Not a great justification except the flight was at 11.50am.

Well I did have two coffees first


It's not often that I take a morning flight but the fact that it was 10 minutes till the afternoon and the Dutch courage helped. And it was fine. I had my last carry-on that I mixed with a can of sugary 7-up in one of my empty plastic bottles, and made it last most of the flight as of course they didn't have even beer on this domestic one.


The landing was pretty professionally done and a relatively sober me was happy to find my luggage intact 20 minutes later in Nanning. But I'd just missed the 4pm bus to the centre and I knew that for some reason there were no trains from the airport to Nanning today. I had booked the 17:57 from Nanning to Pingguo though so really needed to get the 4.30pm bus to the centre as it takes up to an hour. Of course bloody Weixin wouldn't work to buy the tickets so I had to go back into the airport with all my luggage and luckily I had a 100 kuai note to pay the 20 kuai ticket fee, and managed to get back and put my luggage in the underneath compartment and get one of the last seats just before we left. And it was bloody lucky I did as we arrived at 5.28pm and although I had nearly half an hour before my train I had to cross the massive road then do a queue for security. As soon as I got to the station it was time to go to the platform. Maybe I could have been five minutes later but much more and I'd have been looking at a taxi or coach to get to Pingguo.

Yep, I love Guangxi!


But I was on coach 5, seat 3D, slightly sweaty, but happy that I had everything and would be "home" soon. I'd toyed with the idea of asking Haiwei to pick me up but opted to go for a san lun che again. I'd stuffed away my coat as it was not far off 20 degrees and my hoodie would suffice, and indeed it was worth the five minute walk to find a san lun che. The driver kept calling me "boss" and asked what I was doing there. I told her I didn't really know. I have a bit more time and just wanted to spend it here. She asked for 10 kuai and I gave her 15 for the conversation alone.


Happily, the key opened the door nicely unlike last time, and I started unpacking, knowing I had to meet Haiwei shortly. But not before a shower. Then Er jie and about five other women turned up. Oh, it appears they are to go dancing tomorrow. That's absolutely fine and I'm glad to share a house but it would have been nice to know as I could have been walking naked through the place when they turned up. What was weird was that they didn't think it was weird that I was there. I just was. So after a few hellos, and Erjie taking the two coats Tan had asked me to bring back, I just grabbed my shower and prayed the dian dong che would have enough dian, which indeed it did, and I got to where Haiwei is staying by about 8pm.


There was no-one other that him and his younger son, which was slightly disappointing as I could have done with a bigger meal just to have the vibe of more people to wake me up a bit. His older son turned up a bit later and we spoke some English which was fine and fair enough. Part of why I'm back here is to see if it will be feasibly to open an English school at least for the summer.

Meal with Haiwei's boys


But a friend of Uncle Yellow pinged me and sent a location so I made my excuses and left around 10.30pm. The place was a guitar shop just north of the football stadium and although he said he was going home, Uncle Yellow was there and greeted me with a big grin. There was no beer...except I'd stopped off at Guanmart on the way over and had a 6-pack that we used. I only stayed 45 minutes or so as I was knackered, as was Uncle Yellow, so we left before midnight.

Second evening meal with Uncle Yellow and mates at a mate's music shop


I had a plan to watch the Newcastle v City match at 1.30am, and had my beer and duty free ready. But somehow Tan's Erjie was at home with the five other Bangxu women. This was fine of course, but slightly unexpected. They took some delight in talking to me and I was more than happy to engage in conversation till gone 12.30am. But after that I have no memory. The next thing I knew it was 5am and I was wide awake with jetlag. At least I found we had a last-minute win at Newcastle thanks to some brilliance from KDB and our young star Oscar Bobb! The highlights were great to watch!

No comments:

Post a Comment