Friday, November 07, 2008

Priorities for family meals...

As I was home alone Tan rang to say Sao zi (name for wife's mother's younger brother's son's wife - I think) had invited me for a meal. I had already been invited to a meal with another uncle and aunt of Tan's, and had not been able to attend on Wednesday so promised today I would make it. But Tan said I mustn't go to that place (this couple have a breakfast/lunch place nearby where we frequently get our brunch from), because the husband drinks too much. So what? As if I can't control myself. Later Sao zi herself rang and told me to come to hers to eat as if they went to the other place I would have to drink. Not wishing to offend family I went to Sao zi's at 5pm. She told me off for bringing orange juice as a gift (she is quite motherly to me and a bit over-protective). Then before we ate she explained that Tan's other aunty was a more distant relative than herself so that was why I should be here and not there...

As we sat down Biao ge, her husband (means uncle of some sort), got us both a bottle of 35% "medicine alcohol". This is about the only stuff over 4% that I have been able to drink in China, and the (supposed) fact that it is healthy makes it even more palatable - that and the other supposed fact that it doesn't get you drunk... Well we had a lovely meal with much roast duck, and a Biao ge and I had a second bottle of medicine alcohol.

Then I told Biao ge I didn't want to be rude to the other uncle/aunt, and really should go to see them as they were expecting me. He was fine with that, and we immediately got up, grabbed the untouched orange juice I brought, said goodbye to Sao zi and got on his motorbike to the place I originally had intended to go. I didn't realise that Biao ge knew this couple pretty well. He went and bought some tiny sweet oranges as a gift (the sort of thing I get told off for), and we got there for 7pm - the time that had been arranged. The uncle (I'll call him "chef") had prepared a sumptious roast duck, and despite the fact I had just had a roast duck meal I managed more that I should have. Also he isn't such a big boozer. Biao ge went and bought a 9-pack and we got through it, but with the help of chef's three grown up kids (very decent adults in their early to late 20s) and their friends. In fact the whole evening was very pleasant and hospitable, and to think I would have missed this family meal if I'd listed to Tan and Sao zi....

Chef on left, one of his sons on right, and a friend in middle


Chef's wife (she cooks our breakfast) and their daughter

No comments:

Post a Comment