Sunday, November 19, 2006

Infected tape and electric bike

Up about 9am but let Tan do Leilei as for some reason my head was rather heavy. Having said that, even if you wake up with a hangover from Chinese beer, one thing you don’t crave is a glass of water – some people in the UK say if you go out drinking beer you should drink half a pint of water for every pint of beer…I suppose drinking 3.6% beer is a bit like doing that. Anyway, Tan took Leilei to grandma and auntie’s place, where they took him away and on the next bus to Bangxu.

I took advantage and went back to sleep until 11. Tan had borrowed a camcorder from Xiao Li’s brother-in-law, in order that I could copy the tape I had made some weeks previously onto a cd via the laptop. Unfortunately, after I put the tape in and turned the camcorder on, it just displayed an error message. Damn. I tried with a brand new tape and still got the same error. It was only a minute later when I realised that the tape I had recorded on the other month (and had been lying in the bookshelf since) was utterly infested with tiny red ants. They were now crawling all over the tape – not just inside…and I noticed they were carrying eggs. Yes, some bastard family of ants had decided to make a nest inside my 90 minutes of video tape from China. As I banged the tape on the windowsill more and more ants came out…and eventually a couple of larger ones with wings…, which I presume, are queens or something.

I did a search on google for the error message “C:31:23”, and found that normally it can be fixed by removing the battery, or by smacking the camcorder on the side. Thankfully (very thankfully, as they are not cheap), the camcorder responded to the former and I was spared the embarrassment of telling the owner that a bunch of ants had ruined his pride and joy. I have not since tried to play the original tape – there are still ants crawling about inside….

The other day Xiao Wei arrived home with her son Li Mingda on a new motorbike. It was a pretty nice looking moped in dark blue. They already have a red one, but this was a present from her mother – and apparently is not a moped but an electric bicycle due to the lack of any petrol engine. This means anyone can ride it without a licence. Thanks mum what a great present! It looks just like a moped but is silent. You just plug it in to the mains every few nights and there you go – much less pollution (ok I know the electricity has to be produced somewhere – but still…). And the best thing about it is the price – 2000 kuai – about £130. I swear if I’d known that I’d have got one as soon as we arrived (note to self: buy one next time I spend any appreciable time in China).

New electric moped. Not bad for £130!

As we were having a fantastic bbq with Biao ge (the one who is the master of cooking duck – and, it transpires, lamb) I found myself mulling over sexual equality in China. I’ve read that one of the things that will slow down China becoming a predominant world power is its subjugation of women. Now I’ll admit that the one-child policy has brought an increasing awareness of how important it is to have a son – and I find that abhorrent. I also am aware of the dearth of females in politics and high-powered jobs in this country (but I don’t think it’s drastically different in the UK). What I have noticed, though, is many women doing traditionally men’s jobs, such as driving buses and building houses.

Also, women are much more feminine here than in the UK. They wear dresses more often and look like women. They rarely drink beer and don’t burp as much as the men. They look happier than English women and don’t have chips on their shoulders about trying to be “equal”. That’s the important thing. Women are happy. Yes, they have a more defined role than in the UK, and so do the men – and I think it works better.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:53 pm

    dom, that last paragraph is really racist to english women.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:53 pm

    actually, to men as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:54 pm

    *english men

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:59 pm

    have your spamments been commed?

    ReplyDelete