Saturday, November 25, 2006

Getting colder but Leilei back

It had been quite cold for the last week...so much so that many people bought Leilei lots of thick clothes. Luckily they will be very useful for UK winter. Unfortunately we have too much stuff to bring back, so we will have to send some by boat. Thankfully today was warm again...around 30 during midday so we can't complain.

Really happy to be back with Leilei after he spent about four days with his grandma in Bangxu, though by all accounts he had a great time! He's not fotgotten his mummy or daddy though...and still remembers how to say "carry me...please".

Got a comment on my diary about how the following paragraph was "racist". I'd better reply. For a start, here is the paragraph (China doesn't allow me to add comments to comments, as far as I know).

"Also, women are much more feminine here than in the UK. They wear dresses more often and look like women. They rarely drink beer and don’t burp as much as the men. They look happier than English women and don’t have chips on their shoulders about trying to be “equal”. That’s the important thing. Women are happy. Yes, they have a more defined role than in the UK, and so do the men – and I think it works better."

I was accused of being racist towards English women as well as men. Well I made a few obsevations that hold true for the place I have been living in for the last three months. Admittedly it probably doesn't speak for every place in China, but I stand by what I said about Chinese women being happier. I stand accused of having made a sexist comment, perhaps, but racist? That seems a bit far fetched. Maybe it's a matter of semantics but as far as I'm aware there's no such thing as an English race...and in China we have 56 races officially.

Today was so warm....I washed three sets of clothes and hung them out and 90% were dry by 10pm... then we lost against Liverpool 1-0 - although put up a decent fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment