Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Confirmation of extension of stay

While Leilei was with his grandma, I did some checking of the news on the Internet. They block bbc news here, unfortunately, so I tend to check The Times and The Guardian web sites.

There seems to be a lot of stories about religion at the moment – I understand much of this has been sparked by Jack Straw’s comments about a Muslim women wearing niqabs in his surgeries, compounded by a teacher in Yorkshire being suspended for refusing to remove hers while teaching children.

Even more fascinating for me was the amount of comment this has provoked (at least on these online newspapers). I admit I spent most of the day reading the comments of obviously well-educated people on such topics as “Should faith schools be abolished?”, leading to “Should England be a secularised state?”. I find the answer to both of these to be “yes”. Most definitely. Anyway, you can find a lot of comment at http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/index.html or http://www.timesonline.co.uk/comment

I found out that we could change the tickets to leave on 2nd December instead of next Saturday, which was nice – and we shouldn’t even have to pay to change Leilei’s ticket as he doesn’t take up a seat.

Li Mingda's classroom. No Chairman Mao in sight.


I feel more like I’m living here now, than holidaying. We often eat in, and Leilei has a regular routine. I went out on my own to the other side of town to pick up Li Mingda from his school, and chatted with the parents like any other normal 6’1” fair haired, hairy-chested foreigner. Then went to pick up Leilei from his grandma’s and looked after him while his mum and Xiao Wei went to their dancing class. Haven’t played table tennis or badminton for a week – will have to make amends….

No comments:

Post a Comment