Friday, February 16, 2024

Family meal with Li Kun's elder brother plus two more

Up at not long before lunchtime and although I didn't feel like eating anything I forced down a couple of biscuits and didn't feel like forcing down any beer. By 5pm I decided to invite Li Kun to eat but he said to come over with him as he was going to his elder brother's place, so fair enough, rather than taking up his invitation to pick me up I said I'd go to his place, which meant I could pick up some longyan fruit on the way as I was walking as my dian dong che was still at Xiao Nong's.


We all got in his 4x4 and drove to well beyond the train station to his brother's house. I'm so glad that over the years the percentage of boss meals has gone from 80 to about 20 and the family meals from 20 to 80. This was another fun one with at least three generations. I was reasonably slow on the beer too, without any caima. At 6.30pm Lu zong pinged me to ask me out to his bar at 9pm so as I had nothing else on I agreed. We finished the very pleasant meal and Li Kun wisely let his wife drive us back. Well, back being going to Jiang Bin Lu as I'd asked Lu zong if I could bring a mate and of course I could.

Li Kun's second daughter at the family meal but I don't know where the others have gone


But when we got out of the car instead of heading straight to the bar we went to a music shop where a bloke was sitting outside playing guitar and singing. Now I've had quite enough of that over the last month or so but for once I wasn't asked to perform. He finished his piece then we all went inside. It was a new place for teaching music and seemed pretty well equipped, except for pianos that is. We ended up chatting for a few minutes as one does, before finally going to Lu zong's place.


As per usual there were a few blokes there and maybe one woman. Lu zong had ordered plenty of bbq which even after the last meal was delicious. It's not like I'll have much more chance to eat this. The chopped pig penis was particularly nice and had a good texture. Li Kun was well-received by all and was laughing a lot so that must have been a good thing. A couple of the blokes who turned up later were software developers apparently, also working with Java, so we had something technical to talk about which is a rare occurrence here, but appreciated. I wonder if there really could be an opportunity to work in an environment with a Chinese technical team.

Ye xiao at Lu zong's bar in Jiang Bin Lu

Some tofu and chopped pig penis as you do


At 11pm Fen called me to go for a drink with her and some friends at a mate's house. As it was nearly my last night I was tempted but it would have been rude to leave Lu zong's at this time so I told her I tried to make it later. But she said she was nearly drunk (a Chinese term for "nearly very drunk") and left some shouty voice messages to hurry up! Finally, after copious ganbeis nearly an hour later I left the place with Li Kun after giving a mighty hug to Lu zong. I asked Li Kun to sort out a didi che to where Fen was and realised it was literally miles away. I was tempted to invite him but at around midnight thought he'd better get back to family.


Indeed it took a good 10 minutes to get there, and it was a typical residence place with multiple tower blocks. I knew I was looking for number 9 but I couldn't find it so Fen came to look for me on her dian dong che. It took much longer than it should have done, possibly because we'd both had a couple. But eventually she turned up and we were both just outside the correct block. So up to the 12th floor or whatever to find 6 other people around a table drinking sweet red alcohol. Not exactly what I needed, but as there were 3 women I didn't have to caima at all. I recognised one of her friends, and they were all a friendly bunch.

Third meal of the night...


I stayed over an hour till well after 1.15am, after which it was determined the evening would end, and I realised I was still miles from home. But luckily Fen had her dian dong che with her. I said I would drive but she said I wouldn't and I didn't have much of an argument. It did take a good 15 minutes but it was warm...no coats any more. I breathed in the late Pingguo air for what will be nearly the last time this sojourn. She dropped me off but as much as I should have got some sleep that didn't have till well after 4am yet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment