Sunday, December 22, 2019

Last night in Pingguo for the third time this year

Well it had been a treat popping back to Pingguo for a couple of days. I would like to have taken back a winter coat for Tan but apparently I’d only been allowed to take tiny stowed luggage with this trip, though that’s probably bullshit as for all my flights I’d been allowed to take all luggage as hand luggage. But I wasn’t going to moan as I’d try to take advantage of it and take two hand luggages plus a hold luggage that was not allowed technically...whoa...dangerous!

But the sad point was I was leaving today, yet again. The flight was not till tomorrow but it was horribly early. So I went to lunch at Luwen’s - he wasn’t there at first though his wife was and she was happy to see me but annoyingly not that surprised. Not that I wanted to surprise her but I thought she might be so as she wasn’t expecting me for at least another seven months.

But I called him and he turned up and we had just a couple of beers which was an added bonus...just to be with him and family. Then I had the stupid idea of going for a massage before getting the train. I thought there might be time, as I’ve thought on many a last day occasion in the past. I got in contact with our neighbour and she suggested where I might look for one, but it soon dawned on me that I would need to get to Nanning pronto.

While I was waiting around I went for a walk by our place and happened upon a new food place in a dead-end road, but really close. It was Zhang Hua Hua’s mother’s new place, and literally new. If I hadn’t been waiting to go to the train station I’d have stopped for a meal even though I’d just eaten. I really hope they do well. I have my doubts as it’s not a through-road but who knows? I said I’d definitely pay them a visit when I come back.


Zhang Huahua's mum's new place

I was WeChatting my neighbour at the time and she said she could get me a ticket in the future, and while I appreciated that it didn’t help me while I was in the queue. But I didn’t need to stress, and I logicked myself into that way of thinking. It was cool...I was still in Pingguo for a short while at least...I might as well enjoy it, and my flight wasn’t till tomorrow….

I just about got ticket for 4.05 and while going through the turnstile saw a black bloke which made me jealous; I'd managed all the summer without seeing a foreigner in Pingguo (except Steve once), and then in a fraction of a weekend I’d seen one. We caught a glimpse of each other as we were going through the lane for people who didn't have Chinese ID cards, and it was enough to say "ok, we're foreigners, but that's as much as we communicate" at least that was my idea. And it seemed to work as he got on another train.

At Nanning I first went to the bus place to ask about times tomorrow morning. They asked what time my flight was and this time I was honest and said 8am, and they told me I should take the 5.30am bus to the airport. I was thinking more like 6 so I suggested 5.45 instead. It was like a really silly form of haggling as the only loser could be me. She said ok I could take that but I could only buy the tickets on the day. So I asked her how long it would take - 50 minutes - but that’s how long it normally takes during the day. So I asked her specifically how long it would take that early in the morning - 40 minutes. Jeez, didn’t she get the context of the time from the conversation we just had?

I checked in the hotel then went for a bite and had a lovely huoguo that I could barely finish, washed down with a couple of beers. My left shoulder had really started aching this afternoon so I found a massage place and got an hour’s worth for 50 kuai...should have done this more often in Pingguo.

The hotel was one I’d had before - the Vienna Hotel...comfortable room and stuff but for various reasons I didn’t sleep till well after 1am for a 5am start.

No comments:

Post a Comment