Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Walk with Xixi, scolded for vinegar

I awoke at 6am with a sore throat and upset tummy. This kept me uncomfortably awake for a good two hours during which I took some co-codemol and it took effect, allowing me to get back to sleep till gone 1pm. I managed to eat three small cereal bars but didn't feel like anything else. I checked with Tan that the small bottles of lemon vinegar that Lu Hai had given me were meant to be consumed, and were good for you, rather than for cooking, and she said they were. It is very bitter stuff, but I guess healthy, so I managed to down one in two large chugs.

I wasn't in a great mood for going out but I'm a believer in doing "normal" things rather that lying in bed, so as Tan announced that she was going to "fast", and needed some grapes, I took the opportunity to take Xixi out to get them as well as some other stuff we needed. I don't think Tan understands the meaning of the word "fast".

As it was still raining we donned an umbrella and walked to our local supermarket first. We turned what should have been a 15 minute chore into an hour of fun that not everyone here would understand. But for us, having the time and the warm weather is more of a luxury and therefore nice to spend it in such a fashion. We spent the whole time talking about just things, in a way that's not much like when she's together with Leilei. We took the long way back home, in case Ling Ming was in his shop so I could borrow his drill, but he wasn't and it didn't matter a jot.

Xixi with the "Good Wife" fabric conditioner

When we did get back Tan had found the empty bottle of medicine vinegar and had a go at me as if it had been medicine alcohol! "You're only supposed to take a spoonful!" Oh darling why didn't you tell me when I asked if it was good for you? At least she didn't tell me to go to the hospital to get my stomach pumped.

Xixi and I got into some dry clothes and, with Leilei, got on the dian dong che with the intention of going to Waipo's (or Wipe's, as they now call her place) to eat. It was still raining so I put on the huge mac that covers both the driver and the front of the bike, and put Leilei in front of me and Xixi behind, both covered, but unable to see out. I noticed A Wu's X6 outside his office so we gave him a quick bell to see if he'd eaten. Apparently not, so we stopped off and popped in. It was decided over the next few minutes that we'd eat together with A Ni and a couple of her colleagues The kids played silly buggers inside with the bike mac, before discovering a couple of ceremonial swords A Wu had, one of which Leilei used to knight Xixi.

Very silly

Arise, Sir Xixi!

It was 7pm by the time we got to eat at some Hunan place, probably the equivalent of going for an Indian here. The food was very nice and spicy so the kids had to have mostly rice. The two colleagues of A Ni fawned over them both and asked me if we had plans to have any more. I replied that two was enough and they looked genuinely disappointed and said out loud, in a typically honest Chinese way, "what a waste". I knew it was both genuine but also a compliment and took it that way.

I took the kids to Chuan Chuan after the meal and went home. Tan went out after her "fast" of grapes, and I spent a couple of hours literally relaxing as that's what holidays are for. She came back at 11.30, and by lights out at 1am I was on the brink of sleeping. But for some strange reason I didn't quite make it past the sleep barrier, and remained awake until 4am, despite reading Fark articles and comments on night mode, which normally gets me off if counting in foreign tongues doesn't. I could have blamed Tan's snoring but I should be used to that by now. Five minutes later I was awoken by sounds in my own dream. I was dreaming about people falling off roofs, which was rather disturbing and kept me awake again until 6am. At least this isn't a working day.

No comments:

Post a Comment