Sunday, August 25, 2013

Awl back

Up at a very reasonable 8.30am to find a message on my phone to say that Awl was also already up. But at least this time he'd not been up all night and gone mountain-hiking at 7am. But he was hungry and we agreed to try to find "dang bing", which was his favourite breakfast while living in Taiwan. Well we went to our local breakfast place and although they understood what we meant they didn't do that, and neither did any other place in Pingguo apparently. They do do eggy pancakes, which are perfect for me, but not in the style Awl likes unfortunately. So we got some great dumplings instead which were to both Awl and my tastes and brought loads back for Tan, Chuan Chuan and the kids.

The rest of the daytime was not particularly cultural but was good as Awl had some time to relax and read a book and I spent some time with the family. Then I heard from Tan that Xiao Pan had invited us all to a meal that evening. Thankfully Awl was feeling a lot better than yesterday and was happy to come.
Awl and I went to A Wu's office in good time but he said he had to finish some work, so when he seemed to really be finished (and after Tan had called me four times) I said I would drive and got the keys and did so. I chose a route that A Wu had a go at me about until he realised that I'd actually made a shortcut, after which he actually appreciated that I was driving.

I was very happy to hear that Lao Pan and her husband had invited us to "Shui shang ren jia" because I've been here before once or twice but never for a full meal. It is just a big boat permanently moared to the side of the You Jiang river running past Pingguo.

Tan gan bei'ing with a friend/ex-colleague
There were two tables which were generally split between men and women/children, and it this was very appropriate as the conversations were split appropriately too. As was the cigarette smoke. Awl was lively and it was great to see him as a part of the conversations and inviting gan bei's from the locals. This was really one of my favourite moments...and I'm glad Awl was there...it was simply friends eating and drinking together. We might have been continents apart but we all joined in with a couple of glasses of whatever and it felt really nice.

We had fun getting the kids back as it was raining, so the people from the restaurant gave us boxes of beer to put over the kids even though it was only a few seconds to A Wu's car. But it was quite good fun.

Umbeerellas

Chuan Chuan was there to majestically get them to sleep. We appreciated that so much as Tan got a shower and Awl and I put on the football. As I had Tan's laptop and my work one I put on the Man City and Spurs games. I felt sick to the stomach to see us lose to Cardiff 3-2 but took heart in the fact that we were by far the better team and were undone by a couple of corners. Replay that game any time and we'd win 90% of the time. But Spurs won ok and then Awl annoyingly went on about how we bought the title which meant I knew he was pissed.

We started to watch the last day of the Test but eventually Tan came back at around 1.45. She had had a right go at me about getting back after 1am before and how I should stay in a hotel so I was slightly annoyed but decided against having a go at her as I am too nice.

By 1am Awl had already gone to bed and I got a shower not long after so as Tan was back I started watching the cricket again. There were only something like 10 overs to go and it was well exciting so texted Awl to say I was going to watch in the living room. And then with four overs to go the match was stopped for bad light and therefore England limped over the winning line to win the Ashes but it was not the way it should have been. Still, even so I'd watched some history.

No comments:

Post a Comment