Saturday, August 24, 2013

Back in Pingguo

Ah what bliss to wake up in Pingguo at a reasonable hour. There were no foreign devils so I got Tan and me some breakfast and we had a lovely morning in together. I knew Awl was planning to be on the morning train from Beihai to Nanning but somehow didn't think he'd make it as I got drunken texts from Venky last night saying they were in some Dutch bar drinking G&Ts and somehow trying to make me jealous.

Well I wasn't jealous but I was slightly surprised to get a call from Awl mid-morning to say he was on the train to Nanning. I'd worked out which train he'd get to Pingguo so knew it would be mid-afternoon and that he'd appreciate a pre-mixed DVDC. But it was lunchtime first, and I thought I'd go for a simple meal by myself. However, I noticed A Wu's car outside his office and as I'd been away I thought at least I could see if he wanted to eat with me.

It ended up spending the best part of an hour in his office and then him insisting we'd go to his new house that was in the process of being decorated. Well although I fancied a siesta I put that thought to sleep and went to his new place. I can't believe it's taken so long for them to get a proper place to live. For someone with two mines and a BMW X6, to be living in a two bedroom tiny flat with cracked floors and walls for 500 kuai a month seems ridiculous. But their new place is pretty nice - on the 17th of 18 floors with a nice living room although only two bedrooms. I can't help preferring our place as it's much more central and has the extra rooms.

A Wu trying to pretend he had me by the leash at his new house that will soon be liveable in

But suitably impressed, we went to eat and I was impressed that he took my advice of going to my local dumpling place where I often take the kids, and where And and Awl have also expressed their appreciativeness of. We got there and had a portion of jiao zi each and then he ordered another couple as they were that good. I've been coming here for two or three years now and I like to think of myself as one of their best customers (albeit only during summer), as I've introduced many locals here. I'm sure the boss does appreciate it but she rarely shows it to me.

Although it was around 2pm and later than planned I still managed a minor siesta. Wonderful. Then I got a call from Awl to say his train had been delayed. There was not much I could do but at least it gave me a bit of time to get his booze after a bit more shuteye, and carefully packed it into the Calvin Klein cooler bag along with a slightly naughty gin in an old lemonade bottle. I took a san lun che to the station for about 5 kuai and while waiting for his train bought a small bottle of lemonade and added the contents of the gin so I would have something to share with Awl should it be appropriate.

There were loads of san lun che drivers waiting by the arrivals gate, and I thought they'd be fighting for customers by the time the train arrived, but it appeared not so at all. In fact when Awl arrived I was near the front and the driver that said he'd take us got positively friendly comments from the other drivers. I could not make this out at all. If you're waiting to take people in your taxi surely you'd be a bit more concerned about being in the front of the queue to get people?

Well we got to our san lun che with the driver bloke and waited for Awl to get himself a DVDC while I also helped myself to a G&L in order to be with him. We drove straight back to our place as he had his stuff and was knackered and intended for him to get a wash before going out for a nice boss meal. But a few minutes later he ran to the loo and had a moment of Delhi Belly which rendered him not in the mood for going out. As he had his nexus pad and our internet connection I had no problem leaving him to convalesce a bit, although would have preferred him to come out for a sumptuous meal.

I don't remember the context of this photo but I think I was trying to get the kids ready for bed and this was probably some exorbitant excuse not to. It nearly worked.

No comments:

Post a Comment