Monday, June 22, 2009

Ailun's last night

Tonight was Ailun's last night in Pingguo, and we were to "Eat Dog!!". He'd survived with wallet intact from his sojourn to Nanning with some girl but she hadn't accompanied him back so I didn't ask questions (until later).

Eating dog is quite a big deal, as the dog in question had been Chen Mei's family pet for a couple of years (more like guard dog really, but still). Well we had a sumptuous meal at Chen Mei's 5 storey house, where her in-laws also lived. In typical style the men ate in one room while the women (and most of the kids) ate in another. Despite how sexist some people may see this it makes perfect sense. We can talk about machines and business, and they can talk about hairstyles and manicures, without any of us wasting time on meaningless drivel. Makes sense to me. But it does also pander to sexist stereotypes.


Me standing over a river where cars normally drive after a wash. About to eat dog


Ailun showing why the extra bit was built so that cars can drive through after their wash


Well-cooked dog meat


Some presents for cars to be brought back to UK

Well, we had a few beers over drinking games and after the meal we were invited to go to "Sing Song" at one of our favourite Karaoke bars. But as it was Ailun's last day we first went to buy some tea for him to bring back to the old US of A.


We made sure we met one of our best mates in Pingguo before Ailun left. Me, Ma Lao ban and Ailun. Ma Lao ban (Horse boss) was one of our favourite people to visit and drink tea with in Pingguo

At the Karaoke bar we had a good time playing dice games with Chen Mei, who is pretty damn good, although I'm sure I beat her a few times and she seems to be able to take her beer. Tan's cousin turned up around 10pm and Ailun duly fell in love with her as he has with any girl with more than one nipple.


Leilei had chickenpox but still made it to the Karaoke and became a fan of popcorn


Tan, Me and Tan's younger cousin after a night's karaoke

Well Ailun got very drunk and I ended up taking him home from our place at around 3am. I found a three-wheeler after I'd copied all his photos to my laptop at my place, and got him home. After an eternity of hugging (such a yank thing) I finally got him to get to his front door and went home. Only to be called 10 mins later to be told "Hey Dom I lost my goddamn keys!". I can't remember exactly what happened but I managed to convince him he hadn't lost his keys and funnily enough he found them in his pocket a bit later. 4am finally got to sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment